Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Boot different kernel on Live CD?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4

    Boot different kernel on Live CD?

    I am having trouble with the SMP kernel that is booted by default on a HT-P4 system, and would like to boot a uniprocessor kernel. Could someone please let me know is there is a cheatcode or other means of doing this from the 4.0.2 Live CD? I have been unable to find a way by searching the forum or google. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    I do not believe that there is another a uni-proc kernel for you to load. I think you can shutoff SMP by booting with the cheat code: knoppix nosmp

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Boot different kernel on Live CD?

    Hello and welcome to Knoppix.net.

    We hope that you enjoy your use of Knoppix and hope you become an active member of the community. There's no membership fee. We just ask that you help us and others by becoming familiar with Knoppix, posting questions, and letting the rest of us know how things go.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwheeler_1
    I ... would like to boot a uniprocessor kernel.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    I think you can shutoff SMP by booting with the cheat code: knoppix nosmp
    The "nosmp" cheatcode should work. Let us know either way.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4
    Thanks to UnderScore and Robert for their replies. The machine in question is my work computer, so I needed to wait until Monday morning to try it. I did look over the cheatcodes several times, and, unfortunately, I missed the "nosmp" option each time. Sorry I missed it, and thanks, again, for your sharp eyes.

    So, this morning I booted the computer up with the 4.0.2 Live CD using knoppix nosmp boot options. I only got one penguin at the top of the screen, so I guess it was trying to boot the uniprocessor kernel. Unfortunately, it froze right after that (not even any text!), so I guess it is back to WinXP until I have time to experiment with more cheatcodes. (As a reminder, the SMP kernel did boot on this HT-P4, but there was no sound. I suspect that the SMP kernel doesn't have sound compiled in it).

    --FW

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by fwheeler_1
    As a reminder, the SMP kernel did boot on this HT-P4, but there was no sound. I suspect that the SMP kernel doesn't have sound compiled in it).
    Let's back up a bit. What exactly are you trying to do? You mentioned booting a single-cpu kernel, but now you mention your sound card. Do you want to boot a single CPU kernel? Or are you trying to get your sound card working? Or both? Or something else? Is your system a dual-CPU system?

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by rwcitek
    Quote Originally Posted by fwheeler_1
    As a reminder, the SMP kernel did boot on this HT-P4, but there was no sound. I suspect that the SMP kernel doesn't have sound compiled in it).
    Let's back up a bit. What exactly are you trying to do? You mentioned booting a single-cpu kernel, but now you mention your sound card. Do you want to boot a single CPU kernel? Or are you trying to get your sound card working? Or both? Or something else? Is your system a dual-CPU system?

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org
    I want to boot the system with the 4.0.2 Live CD and have a fully functional system.

    This live cd will boot w/o any cheatcodes into the SMP kernel (it is a single processor HT-P4, so I assume that is the default for this processor). After booting, the sound will not work (SB Live!). I posted the lsmod stuff futher down in the forum under my username if you're interested. . .that posting netted no responses.

    It dawned on me that the SMP kernel might not have sound compiled into it (I believe that somewhere along the line, I actually got an error message to this regard), so I thought I'd try to boot the uniprocessor kernel to see if that would work since Kanotix 2005-3 boots fine on it with sound. That's where I'm at today. Just want the computer to work with everything (exact kernel unimportant), including sound.

    Thanks for your continued help, FW

Similar Threads

  1. Getting Kernel panic error while running the live cd
    By nirupama in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-10-2006, 06:32 AM
  2. How do I boot the 2.6 kernel from the 3.6 Live distro CD??!!
    By iD:0t in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-15-2005, 04:55 PM
  3. Using kernel 2.6 with live cd
    By jtsai256 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 05:40 AM
  4. Errors and kernel panic during boot (2.6 Kernel)
    By gitarzysta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 08:36 PM
  5. Changing LIve CD Kernel to 2.6
    By sbkryan in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 02:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00