Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix 4.02, standard user account, sudo, networking

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix 4.02, standard user account, sudo, networking

    So I installed Knoppix 4.02 DVD to the hard disk. It boots and runs off the hard disk fine.
    My standard user account during the install, I called mine "mike".

    So I login as "mike" and I cannot do anything.
    Every 2 seconds it asks for my root password.
    This is a new system of course, and I need to customize this system.


    So I add "mike" to the /etc/sudoers file using visudo....

    mike ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

    save the file
    I visually verfiy /etc/sudoers has mike added....
    exit, loggoff and reboot the computer

    Log back in as mike, and every 2 seconds, it asks me for the root passwd.

    Basically, just trying to add my ethernet to the networking and get that going, but
    everytime I do add the network interface, it just hangs.....and never returns...

    Is there anyway I can login to the GUI as root??
    I dont care about f****** security at this point.
    I just need this to work. Security is usless if it does not work.
    Worry about security later when its working.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    51
    yes you can, please insert here all the normal warning about it being a bad idea!
    At the boot screen switch to the Console login, login as root and startx
    (works for 3.8.2 anyway)

Similar Threads

  1. Creating user account
    By pipposanta in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2006, 09:23 PM
  2. missing user account on a knoppix file recovery attempt
    By bobby_lobby in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2006, 09:58 PM
  3. Cannot log into user account..only root
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 08:15 PM
  4. ?? Duplicate a user account as different name ??
    By Cuddles in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-13-2004, 07:15 PM
  5. No password for knoppix user sudo
    By ian in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2003, 08:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$89.99



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack picture

Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack

$88.90



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99