-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Can Someone Help Me With The Installation Of KNOPPIX v4.
--Dude, you need to relax a bit. You're coming off as pretty abrasive, for someone asking a group of strangers for help.
Remember, we're all *volunteers* here, and we're -not- being paid to provide support.
In an effort to be helpful:
NTFS resizer:
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html
--According to the packages.txt on the Knoppix FTP site, the current Knoppix ISO contains ntfsprogs, which provides ntfsresize. (I haven't used it myself, but you should be able to run it from a command line and read the man page for it.)
--Now for some personal philosophy: I know you mentioned not wanting to "waste" money on a second hard drive, but these days I consider it essential to have at least (2) drives in a home computer system; one for OS/data, and 1 for experimenting/backups.
--If you only have one drive, you generally don't have a reliable backup situation (unless you're using tapes or something.) Seriously consider **investing** in something like a 120-gig or even a 160-gig HD, because then you don't have to repartition the 80-gig -- and you can then do compressed "dd" or "partimage" backups to the 2nd drive, even if you don't want to install Knoppix. Seriously, I speak from experience. I've tried dual-booting with 1 drive, and 2 drives gets around the potential boot-sector problems (for me, if there's no floppy in the drive it boots Windows; if I want to boot Linux I just throw the Lilo floppy in.)
> Oh yeah, when I install KNOPPIX to my hard drive, its considered "Debian" isnt it? I just need to know so when I go to install stuff I know just what exactly I have an Im not installing anything thats possibly not compatible with the OS.
--Yes, once installed to the HD it's considered Debian testing. However, you can go to http://apt-get.org and update your /etc/apt/sources.list with alternative repositories which allow you to install cool things that aren't in the Debian "official" software list.
--BTW, once you've resized your NTFS partition, you should be able to use ' qtparted ' or ' cfdisk ' to create a Linux partition.

Originally Posted by
MGILB81
Sorry about being a complete n00B by posting this, but I dont feel like reading through all the BS search results that come up when I try and find out how to install KNOPPIX v4.0.2 on an already partitioned NTFS system. I need answers, not more questions. First of all, I have an 80 gig hard drive, and all 80 gigs are confiscated to Windows. I learned all this week that Windows blows, and I need to get Linux installed on my machine, but I dont want to waste money on a new hard drive. I want to know how to get KNOPPIX installed on my hard drive and how to give it 20 of my 80 gigs to use. If I install the DVD version of KNOPPIX, will it be "better" than installing the CD version of KNOPPIX? In better, I mean will it do more stuff, and will it be more reliable, and be generally a better choice? I would also like to know if anyone here has tried to install KNOPPIX to their NTFS system, and how it turned out, be it good or bad. If someone could tell me what hard drive back-up program would be best to use in this situation, that would be great also. Linux rules, and I know for a fact that my system will run at its very best if I am using Linux, compared to Windows. I better not see anyone giving me links to anything like other topics like mine, because I need ANSWERS not more questions. Links to programs that will help me partition my hard drive are ok by the way :P Oh yeah, when I install KNOPPIX to my hard drive, its considered "Debian" isnt it? I just need to know so when I go to install stuff I know just what exactly I have an Im not installing anything thats possibly not compatible with the OS.
Similar Threads
-
By Eitan in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-15-2005, 05:08 AM
-
By Jiros in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-21-2004, 04:53 PM
-
By rowelldionicio in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-04-2004, 03:55 PM
-
By Mr.Redhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
-
By corrosion in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-09-2003, 12:43 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

Pair ID-COOLING A8-SP3 CPU Heatsink Coolers and AMD EPYC 7601 32 Core Processors
$290.00

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$399.00

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 256GB - Good
$474.99