Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Noobie Install Question

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    21
    I've installed XP on a few systems w/o any problems. I think it requires 1 reboot.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Only one that I can see, it throws everything into one partition so you have to move things around if you want seperate partitions.
    True but somebody (I can't for the life of me remember who )explained very nicely how to get that done without alot of aggravation. I used that 'how-to' myself.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Only one that I can see, it throws everything into one partition so you have to move things around if you want seperate partitions.
    True but somebody (I can't for the life of me remember who )explained very nicely how to get that done without alot of aggravation. I used that 'how-to' myself.
    I've thought of one more you have to delete the knoppix user and create your own user.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    I've thought of one more you have to delete the knoppix user and create your own user.
    Well.....ya know- technically you don't have to delete Knoppix (maybe you've become good friends) and adduser is standard linux all the way- certainly not specific to Knoppix. Of course you could always edit the how-to right?

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Well.....ya know- technically you don't have to delete Knoppix (maybe you've become good friends) and adduser is standard linux all the way- certainly not specific to Knoppix.
    Your right there, it's just a little peeve of mine I tried to hack the install script a couple of times but the best I could do was get it creating my user and directories but no password.

    Of course you could always edit the how-to right?
    I should put a section in it on adding your own user if I get some extra time tonight I'll do it.

  6. #16
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    21
    At this point I have little experience and know next to nothing about Linux. I am still running Knoppix off the CD. When I create a persistent home directory and save my settings I still lose my kmail accounts. If I use a HD install of Knop will I have difficulty saving all program settings and preferences from session to session? Will I have full functionality with apt-get and updates and installs?

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Keep in mind that using Knoppix from the cd is quite different from an installation. Yes your preferences will be saved, yes you can use apt-get, yes you will soon forget that windows ever existed.

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by binarybum
    At this point I have little experience and know next to nothing about Linux. I am still running Knoppix off the CD. When I create a persistent home directory and save my settings I still lose my kmail accounts. If I use a HD install of Knop will I have difficulty saving all program settings and preferences from session to session? Will I have full functionality with apt-get and updates and installs?
    When you install to HD you have a functioning system everything you do is saved to the disk, apt works for installing and removing programs. You will still have a more to do if you use dhcp to access the internet you will have to edit /etc/network/interfaces to "turn on" dhcp, if you want to dual boot you have to edit /etc/lilo.conf and uncomment two lines and so on.

  9. #19
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    21
    Stephen,
    Sounds like I would have knoe problem at all. Dont know much yet but I have the inpression Knoppix is one of the best distros . (period)

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by binarybum
    Stephen,
    Sounds like I would have knoe problem at all. Dont know much yet but I have the inpression Knoppix is one of the best distros . (period)
    It's pretty good, it's the quickest and easiest way I've ever seen to get linux on a computer and actually have a working system. You get to try before you buy so to speak so you know the problems you will have with your hardware and can sort them out before you get half-way through an install.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Install Question
    By agilley007 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 10:50 PM
  2. ADSL Modem drivers - Noobie
    By whablow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-06-2004, 12:22 PM
  3. Apt-Get - noobie - help
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-27-2003, 02:01 AM
  4. QTParted for Install- Total Noobie
    By binarybum in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-15-2003, 05:54 AM
  5. noobie question
    By neo in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 07:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED picture

CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED

$39.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01 picture

New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01

$84.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10gbase-SR transceiver SFP+ (XVR-00001-02) picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10gbase-SR transceiver SFP+ (XVR-00001-02)

$9.00



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90