-
Junior Member
registered user
Noobie Install Question
Hi all,
I tried Knoppix CD and was so intrigued I want to install Linux on my Windows machine. I have a 80 gig HD with 4 NTFS partitions. I chose Mandrake 9.1 because it has a partition resizer. I decided not to install LILO into MBR but in root and boot from floppy. Mandrake does not let you stop the install at the bootloading section. It skips right by and puts LILO in MBR. The option is in there but you can't get to it. With 8 tries I managed to get to that window once but it was too late.
I decided to let it install in MBR and then reconfigure the setup at the review stage and later repair MBR with fdisk. Next Mandrake then hangs while making boot disk. In text mode it lets me know there was an error making boot disk and continue to end of setup. Now I have no boot disk.
So now I think I will use Mandrake install to resize the partition and then install Debian.
Question 1: Can I install Linux at the end (around 65 or 70 gigs in) of my 80 gig HD? Seems I've read about 1024 cylinder bios recognition limits for booting.
Question 2: Is Debian a good choice for Newbie or am I better off with something else like RH maybe?
Thanks.................BB
Similar Threads
-
By agilley007 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-30-2004, 10:50 PM
-
By whablow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-06-2004, 12:22 PM
-
By Cuddles in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-27-2003, 02:01 AM
-
By binarybum in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 05-15-2003, 05:54 AM
-
By neo in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-07-2003, 07:35 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00