-
Senior Member
registered user
Approaching 10,000 posts
..Feels like a milestone of sorts. I think this forum is really taking off and proving good, free support for Knoppix
-
Senior Member
registered user
It's worth celebrating. I've certainly learned a lot by reading and posting here. I think Knoppix.net is another great example of the kind of support that can come from a community. I know that if I come here and post a question it will generally receive a reply ranging from minutes to hours. Not bad for a bunch of people who like to help each other and learn in the process. I think the level of support that comes from the site is just as good (perhaps much better) than support which is provided on a fee basis. Let's keep up the good work and grow the knoppix community.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Yes I do agree with what aay said. The great thing about knoppix and linux in general is the community. You don't have to freaking pay everytime you need tech support. This site has by far the information source about knoppix and linux for newbies. Keep up the good work eadz and other posters, contributors.
-
-
Senior Member
registered user
Anytime someone asks me about Linux I point them here (yes so that they don't call me every time their pc makes a funny noise) but mostly because this is a friendly site and very informational. There is alot of info for the noob in general that isn't even specific to Knoppix. What better way to show someone how amazing Linux is than by handing them a cd and in 5 minutes they have a Linux distro to work with? Try THAT with wimpdoze!
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus
What better way to show someone how amazing Linux is than by handing them a cd and in 5 minutes they have a Linux distro to work with? Try THAT with wimpdoze!
Well...
It is possible with Windows, at least with Win9x. You basicaly create a bootfloppy-image which loads MSCDEX and a little RAM-drive with the windows registry. You subst the ramdrive to C:, and execute "win" from the CD. D*Space helps a lot here too, similar to the Knoppix compressed image.
Off coarse things are a little bit more complicated (drive letters). These can be fixed by hand (export reg, search/replace, import under DOS). But Win9x unhappyness with changing hardware is a bit more cumbersome. But actually Knoppix had to overcome this same problem, more or less.
And then you have Microsoft breathing in your neck not to release the CD, because you would be blah blah EULA blah...
btw, I never actually tried it myself, but I do know that people got this kind of setup working.
Similar Threads
-
By Mustang64 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-11-2004, 01:28 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends
$149.00

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$699.99

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981
$199.99

Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit
$44.99

Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe
$449.99

LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold
$749.99

IBM Aptiva E5D Intel Pentium II 400MHz 64MB RAM No HDD Vintage Computer 2139E5D
$219.99

VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE
$299.99