I have been remastering a Knoppix CD to use as a standalone workstation on a private network. The idea will be to use this workstation as a place where users can look up parts and then print out the looked up part. Everything has gone along great from the remastering - Knoppix seems to have been designed for this purpose. Where I am running into problems is the printing. THis is what I am experiencing:
When ever I boot Knoppix 4 & I have a printer connected (via parallel or USB) it seems that CUPs crashes and the printer is not detected or set up. If I unplug the printer at this point and do a root shell > /etc/init.d/cupsys start then plug the printer in and use the Printer tool to configure the printer it works fine.
If I boot the computer without any printer connected, everything seems to work OK, and I can then plug in the printer and configure it with the Printer tool.
Is this the way it should work? What I would like better is to have Knoppix detect the printer I have connected at boot time, and then set it up befor the users need it to print. If this is not possible then I think my only other alternative is to use specified printers (like low end HPLJ 1020's) and configure them during the remaster and save the configuration. Which is do able, but will limit the flexability of the remastered CD.
Any guidance or suggestions will be greatly appriciated.
Thanks in advance.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard
$163.49
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99
ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49
ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU
$45.00
MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen
$59.99