Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: problem booting from floppy in 4.0.2

  1. #1

    problem booting from floppy in 4.0.2

    I have a successfully burned CD and have booted Knoppix from this in one computer, but my real aim is to use Knoppix on a computer that will not boot from CD. Using the working Knoppix computer, I created the pair of floppies for booting, but whenever I try these (and I've tried them on 3 different machines, including the one that I booted from the CD) I get as far as the point that I'm asked to insert the "root floppy".

    So I insert the second of the floppies, and I get this message

    "Invalid compression format (err=2)"

    I've repeated the floppy creation process, but the problem remains.

    What should I be trying here?

    Thanks for any help.

    OO

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: problem booting from floppy in 4.0.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Optiplex
    I created the pair of floppies for booting,
    Bad idea. See the downloading faq (which also contains info on booting). Use Smart Boot Manager or XOSL.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: problem booting from floppy in 4.0.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Optiplex
    I have a successfully burned CD and have booted Knoppix from this in one computer, but my real aim is to use Knoppix on a computer that will not boot from CD...OO
    If you want to boot from a usb dongle or boot from the hdd hosting the iso file have a look in here:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=93758#93758
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
    Hope this helps. Please let me know if this works for you. Best Regards, Gilles

  4. #4

    Re: problem booting from floppy in 4.0.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Optiplex
    I created the pair of floppies for booting,
    Bad idea. See the downloading faq (which also contains info on booting). Use Smart Boot Manager or XOSL.
    Good plan. Smart Boot Manager successfully carried me along to the next problem!

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: problem booting from floppy in 4.0.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Optiplex
    Actually I got into Knoppix, but only in text mode, since I can't seem to create a "knoppix.swp" file during the boot sequence. (Machine has only 80mB of RAM.) When asked if I want to create the file in a particular partition, I hit <return> with <OK> highlighted, but get no response. Have to escape out of that dialog to progress.
    You're not telling us much about the system that you are hoping to create the swp file on. I sure hope it's isn't XP and that you are running Xp with only 80 meg of ram. Knoppix can't write to a NTFS partition. If it's a FAT partition, how much free space is available? You might want to try to be sure that there is free space on the disk, even defag it for better performance. It's been a while since I've run Knoppix on a limited memory system, but I did get it to boot on a 64 meg system and create the swp file for me just fine. I don't recommend doing it and you might be better off running in text mode or at least finding a Linux that uses a less memory intensive GUI, but it should at least create the swp file if you have free space on a fat partition. Just don't expect to be very happy with the performance.

  6. #6

    Re: problem booting from floppy in 4.0.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    You're not telling us much about the system that you are hoping to create the swp file on. I sure hope it's isn't XP and that you are running Xp with only 80 meg of ram. .... I don't recommend doing it and you might be better off running in text mode or at least finding a Linux that uses a less memory intensive GUI, but it should at least create the swp file if you have free space on a fat partition. Just don't expect to be very happy with the performance.
    OK. Thanks. I got the swap file working right after posting my previous message but too late to forestall your reply.

    This is an old Pentium I running Windows 95. This installation is purely to tinker around with Linux on a computer that is almost junk anyway, so I'm not (very) worried about performance.

Similar Threads

  1. Booting from floppy...
    By Robinhood in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 12:05 AM
  2. Booting from USB Device Using Floppy?
    By victorhooi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 07:40 AM
  3. Booting from floppy after Hdd install
    By Loque in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-04-2003, 06:45 PM
  4. booting from a laptop with NO cd but it does have a floppy
    By MikeyMustang in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 03:47 PM
  5. hdinstalled booting off floppy
    By hickorynut in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-27-2003, 05:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



Lot of 18 Mixed Brands PC4 32GB 2400T-R Server RAM picture

Lot of 18 Mixed Brands PC4 32GB 2400T-R Server RAM

$2879.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SK Hynix 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4-2400 ECC RDIMM Server RAM HMA84GR7AFR4N-UH Tested picture

SK Hynix 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4-2400 ECC RDIMM Server RAM HMA84GR7AFR4N-UH Tested

$235.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55