Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: printing

  1. #11
    newby
    Guest
    Speaking of Hard Drives, I have a Question. I saw on another Linux board that Linux works much faster (2x's) if you do a Low Level format before installing Linux. Has any body here done that? Can you do that type of format on a single partition or only the complete drive? Finally, do think it would really make a difference?

    I'm guessing you have to do the complete drive, would take a very long time, its not recomended, and wouldn't make a (noticeable) difference.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7

    Low level format of hard drive

    I dont believe you can do a "low level format " of an IDE drive.
    Have notised that if I use a wipe program to write all zeros to a drive
    and then install linux it seems to run faster. Havent tested it so
    i dont have numbers.

    I found a wipe program using google and many of the drive
    diagnostic floppys have a write zeros program.

  3. #13
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96
    For printing I have to make sure CUPS is running. I manually start it from the Root Shell with "cupsd"

    I have had success with printers using the KDE Control Center...System...Printing Manager. Even though I get an error "client-error-not-found" continue. Click the "Add Printers" icon and follow the set up. I even set up one of my network printers.

    Mike

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3
    I got a local printer working and now want to get a network printer working. Thanks to the posts above I got the local one working.


    The printer is attached to a PC running Widows 98.
    The KDE manager requires an address and port for the printer.

    The printer is connected to Windows networking but not to TCP/IP ( I think) - the PC connects through a router to a cable modem to an ISP so it's running TCP/IP but what about the printer and making it visible through TCP/IP to the KNOPPIX system so the printer can be set using the KDE manager.

  5. #15
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96
    If the printer is connected by a parallel cable it is not a TCP/IP printer. You must (I believe) print to it with Samba. I have not done this myself. Good Luck!

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba...k/ch07_02.html

    A Google search of "sharing a windows printer with linux" yielded good results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Printing, Notifications
    By RoyalMail in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 02:32 PM
  2. Printing
    By swazi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 05:46 PM
  3. printing problem
    By pummer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 08:20 PM
  4. GV, XPDF and Printing
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2003, 06:22 AM
  5. HP printing hpijs 1.3.1 instead of 1.3-2
    By Jean Béliveau in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-28-2003, 11:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Juniper Networks SSR120 Smart Router picture

Juniper Networks SSR120 Smart Router

$500.00



🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00