Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12

Thread: Why should I use Knoppix?

  1. #11
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    50

    Thanks nishtya!

    Right, got the resolution up to 1024x768, which is most my monitor can support. Simply changing bios video memory setting to 8mb did it. One thing checked of the list!

    So, next real hurdle is getting my Belkin wireless USB adaptor working. How can I do this? I have tried looking through some of the settings, there is somewhere I can choose from a list of drivers to install but I can't find this particular thing. Should I be looking for a more general name, such as something to do with the chip in the USB stick, rather than simply Belkin USB Wireless adaptor?

    Any help with this would be great.

    Secondly, my soundcard works so far as I can get the test sound in control center to play, but can't get any sound anywhere else. Playing MP3s gives the error that the card may be being used elsewhere...

    It's a PCI soundblaster live! 24-Bit card.

    Also, Is there any way I can save a config file I can load when I boot from the Live CD? So I don't have to go through the same thing every time I boot? I can't leave it on forever!

    I guess getting the internet working is my main priority, so I can type this from Knoppix instead of Windows.

    Thanks so much for your help, this forum is incredible!

    Rich

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by nishtya
    Your video resolution problem is probably less a driver thing than a video memory thing. Is it a Dell? Known issue, you need to go into the bios and bump up the video memory from the default to 8mb (there are only two choices). Some other distros (like kanotix and ubuntu) have a startup script that ups the video cache without you having to go into the bios. Either way, this should help get you a higher resolution.
    I run KNOPPIX on my Dell Dimension 3000, changed the BIOS to 8MB. that doesn't help completely, try the command "knoppix DMA" (W/O the quotation marks of course). Try that, hope it Helps!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5 Touch 14” Laptop Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5 Touch 14” Laptop Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$249.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...

$749.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...

$379.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 Chromebook - 14

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 Chromebook - 14" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - MediaTek Kom...

$189.00



Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI picture

Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI

$144.00



Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14

Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14" i5 8365U 16GB NEW 256gb SSD WIN 11 pro CAM WIFI

$259.99