Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Editing NTFS files

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4

    Editing NTFS files

    While booting an XP, I noticed error message with boot.ini but it boot up successfully. On examining the file I noticed there is only one line in it, timeout=0. So, I replace it with a standard boot.ini file from another computer with the same partitioning. However, I can no longer boot up the system, this time the error is corrupted hal.dll even though I do have any device connected to the system. Recovery console is not installed.

    I boot up Knoppix to try and follow instructions I found to edit boot.ini back to original form. In brief, I use captive NTFS, untick read-only for the drive but I still cannot save the file after editing. Can Knoppix be used for this purpose, since Windows recovery console actually requires admin password.

    Ming

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    In brief, I use captive NTFS
    NO, do NOT attempt to write to an NTFS partition with anything other than the appropriate version of Windows or appropriate WINDOWS tools or applications. To do so may cause the partition to become corrupted and it may not be recoverable. Using Captive NTFS is very risky. It is no longer supported and there are no foolproof alternatives. You should look at the information at the following links:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q289022/
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm
    http://www.compphix.com/corrupthal.html
    There is a detailed explanation of the error and some possible fixes located there, including one that requires you to remove the hard drive and repair it in another Windows system. The recovery console is probably the safest for you, and it can be accessed from the install cd. The procedure is outlined in the links above. If you do not have admin rights/password to this machine, why is that so?

    Another alternative would be to use Windows PE, which is NOT available to normal humans, OR to use BartPE, which is something that you would have to make and configure from some files on the Net and your Windows Install Files. You can Google for more info on that if you would like. It is rather simple to make the disc, but somewhat detailed. It took me just less than an hour the first time I did it, so it should take anyone else less than 45 minutes.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4
    Thanks, I thought it's too good to be true.

Similar Threads

  1. NTFS partition will not load after editing with Knoppix
    By howellerx in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2008, 10:56 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2005, 03:26 PM
  3. Editing System files as 'root'
    By phdzg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-08-2005, 11:46 PM
  4. Editing files on HDA....
    By photosoupguru in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 05:26 AM
  5. Editing boot.img help files
    By rdmelin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-25-2003, 01:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99