-
Senior Member
registered user
KNOPPIX 3.9 + knoppix-installer woes...
Hi All!
I maintain a Linux Lab for my AP Computer Science students. Over the past several years, I've had occasion to install all versions of KNOPPIX to hdd from 3.2 with knx-hdinstall to 3.8.1 with knoppix-installer on a LAN of 25 PCs. I never had to install 3.9 to hdd until this week. And, I have to say that I have never encountered such a knoppix-installer nighmare before!
First, I had lots of read errors on my cdd's which has happened only rarely. I suppose it could be bad media or bad drives. So, I can't even boot the KNOPPIX CD on those stations (2Pcs down, 23 to go).
However, this LAN was reinstalled just a few years ago with all new hadware (fast ethernet, PIV PCs with 750MB RAM and 40GB hdds = Dell GX270s). Further, I don't usually have media problems. I always use Memorex 700MB data CDRs without a problem. BTW, I check my ISO downloads with md5sums and my burns with the cheat code.
Second, I had several errors when using qtparted to resize the XP partitions before running knoppix-installer which never happened before. I guess it could be over-used hdds. So I can't install anything on those stations (6 more PCs down, 17 to go). Please note that this is not an NTFS issue. All XP installs were done on VFAT32 to begin with.
BTW, my partitions, where qtparted worked, are hda1=35MB WIMPdoze rescue partition which I didn't touch, hda2=20GB WIMxP partition which I had resized from 40GB, hda3=19GB ext3 partition for the hdd install and hda4=178MB (that's all that's left) linuxswap partition created from the new space after resizing.
Third, I had several PCs stop, during the knoppix-installer step where it copies files to my new ext3 partitions, at about 96% which has happened only rarely. In the past several years, I only recall this happening a few times but I could simply retry knoppix-installer and all was fine - not this time! So the install is incomplete on those stations (2 more PCs down, 15 to go).
Fourth, I didn't realize lilo was gone to be replaced by grub which clearly never happened before! It took me a little while to figure out I had to edit
Code:
/boot/grub/menu.lst
to get my dual-boot hdd installs to default to an XP boot. Sorry, don't flame me, I have to do this to coexist with the other teachers at my school....
Fifth, netcardconfig didn't work for autoconfiguring my DHCP network on any of the 15 remaining PCs which never happened before. However, fixed that problem!
Lastly, but not least, to add insult to injury, when a user logs-in with KDM on the 15 installed PCs, the KDE boot screen gets stuck at the second icon and just hangs the whole PC which never happened before! On a few PCs, the KDE boot screen does actually finish after 10-20 minutes!
What the heck can I do about this latest error??? I have no more hairs to pull out, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!
TIA,
AJG
Similar Threads
-
By AJones in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 03-01-2007, 06:50 PM
-
By kevingpo in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-07-2005, 12:24 AM
-
By istoleapig in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 02-20-2005, 05:13 AM
-
By simucal in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-17-2004, 12:30 AM
-
By silicosick in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-03-2003, 04:34 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$298.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Protectli Vault FW4C-0-8-120 - 4 port, Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 128GB
$180.00

Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance
$20.25

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99