Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Asking for Persistence options details explained

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4

    Asking for Persistence options details explained

    Hi, this is my first post here and I hope not to ask too dumb questions, but I've googled / RTFM alot and can't find detailed info anywhere on this.

    OT: I'm using Knoppix 4.0.2 DVD_EN on an Acer Aspire 5024 laptop (and hw recognition is _really_ flawless _now_, had some problems using 4.0 DVD_DE with keyboard and touchpad).

    Problem: I need to have a partition / image on my USB stick to store _all_ changes I make to knoppix while working; I've already read about "Create persistent image" and "Save configuration / settings" and tried both, but settings didn't get stored as expected. First of all, I can't understand why should I use them both. It seems that _all_ the files saved inside the "Save conf"-created .tbz file are also available inside the "Create pers. image"-made knoppix.img, while the converse is not true, as docs and programs get saved only inside the image.
    Furthemore, "Save conf" saves the .sh and .tbz files _once_: if I make more changes _after_ creation, I need to "Save" _again_ to make changes permanent. Instead I want settings-saving to be(have) like knoppix - live (i.e. I expect to change / install / download whatever I like, simply reboot once I'm done, and find everything right there).
    If I'm right, "Save conf" is not relevant (read - redundant) for my situation. But, if so, can anybody tell me what those 4 self-explanatory ( ) options at boot (Home / System / Overwrite / Init) do ? Because I've already tried a few combinations, but it loses my network settings and other little things I did. Of course, all the times I tried knoppix.img got merged with UnionFS successfully (I didn't forgot to type the home=knoppix.img cheatcode)

    PS: Is there an easy way (no remastering, thanks ) to keep from entering cheatcodes over and over (i.e. saving them along other system-wide configuration info inside the persistent image) ?

    PPS (OT): Why does the desktop get totally f*cked-up colors when coming back from Ctrl-Alt-FX (getting to the virtual consoles and back) ? Is there a workaround, other than "init 1; init 5" ?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4
    Don't know why, but it seems my post (topic) passed un-detected / observed... I hope there's somebody able to help me with this, but I think that the main question deserves more than a reply here (maybe sticky ? what about a wiki article ?), because detailed explanations of the "Save ..." + "Create ..." actions interplay and of the options for the persistent home boot-screen are non-existent, even googling around for a whole afternoon !

    Even bypassing cheatcodes-compulsory-typing-at-boot is not mentioned anywhere (except re-mastering maybe ?), and considering that system settings can be tweaked and apps installed (once I get around persistence issues), how is it that it seems there is no way around cheatcodes to force the DVD+USBpen combo to enable dma, usb2, etc. at boot or at least before entering runlevel 5 ?

    Thanks in advance to anyone who will give me at least a few hints...

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    13
    I used wingrub from http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/ to boot into dvdrom image or hard disk installed knoppix (by 'knoppix-installer' program).
    The cheatcode keep in the config file 'C;\grub\menu.lst' of wingrub. So cheatcode don't lost every boot.

    I keep both dvdrom image and hard disk installed knoppix because some hardware detection of hard disk installed knoppix is not as good as dvdrom boot. For example on my DELL 700m notebook, fan operation not configured by default of hard disk installed knoppix. I have to fix this by searching the web. Found i8kutils to fix this. I changed some i8kutils setting for lower temperature of my notebook.

    Harddisk install can do more thing that boot from dvdrom image. Install more program. XFree86 boot up not flashing LCD screen of my notebook. Poor man install will.

    fat32 partition boot knoppix dvdrom image method:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Basic_Poor_Mans
    ntfs partition boot knoppix dvd image method:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4
    I see what you say, because I've read those docs, but that's not what I was trying to achieve: I need to boot from DVD and have settings, small apps and docs stored on my USB pen to survive reboots (so I want changes to be "live", not sort of snapshotted as it seems is the case with the .tbz + .sh "save"d configuration). Of course, as I don't need / want snapshotting, I lose reversability of changes after reboot (reverse-wise, maybe, the "save conf" action would make much more sense, but, I stress it once more, at the moment I need the most similar experience to an installed linux system, without touching hdd, so the DVD+USBpen combo is a (the only ?) nice idea.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    13
    I found that version 4.0.2 already support unionfs mount your knoppix.img file. Not only the home directory.
    It will autodetect your knoppix.img file with a screen ask you use it or not when boot up.

    I try:
    nvi
    (command not found)
    apt-get update
    apt-get install nvi
    nvi
    (open nvi editor)

    So DVD+USBpen combo feature already supported.

    I think the step is important that:
    You first create knoppix.img
    Then reboot computer
    Boot up ask your to use knoppix.img detected. choose yes.
    Then do the thing you want.
    All the changes already storage in knoppix.img file.

    After reboot:
    Boot up ask your to use knoppix.img detected. choose yes.
    You changes already here.

    I don't try much about this usage.
    If something not work in this usage. Please post it out.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4
    Ok, so if anything works for you, it seems to confirm that in my case I only need to "create persistent home" once, and load it at every boot, but a few questions:

    1) "save configuration" is _not_ needed (and, maybe, possibly conflicts ?)
    2) does your install survive reboots ? because UnionFS alone only determines ability to install, but it's UnionFS+USB writable .img combo that enables persistence across work sessions
    3) if so, what about the options you enable at boot for the persistent home ? there are 4 options, only the 3rd of which defaults to disabled. what do you set them to, if any ? do you know how every single option affects behavior ?
    4) what about skipping cheatcodes boot-time typing ? do you know _if_ they can be saved anywhere inside the .img ?

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by j0m
    Ok, so if anything works for you, it seems to confirm that in my case I only need to "create persistent home" once, and load it at every boot, but a few questions:

    1) "save configuration" is _not_ needed (and, maybe, possibly conflicts ?)
    I think the unionfs used like the whole ramdisk start from version 4.0.2
    So version before 4.0.2 use other methods save configuration.


    2) does your install survive reboots ? because UnionFS alone only determines ability to install, but it's UnionFS+USB writable .img combo that enables persistence across work sessions
    Install survive after reboots.
    Your create knoppix.img file in USB (/dev/sda1)
    But notice that mount USB writable before create your knoppix.img file inside it.

    3) if so, what about the options you enable at boot for the persistent home ? there are 4 options, only the 3rd of which defaults to disabled. what do you set them to, if any ? do you know how every single option affects behavior ?
    I have no change to 4 options when boot up. Except that you must choose 'yes' to enable the detected knoppix.img
    I have not try the difference options combination. I don't know the result.

    4) what about skipping cheatcodes boot-time typing ? do you know _if_ they can be saved anywhere inside the .img ?
    I think cheatcode will not keep in .img file. Because cheatcode used for enable/disable some autodetect feature.
    It should enter at boot up enable/disable some feature that cause fail to boot.

Similar Threads

  1. Persistent-Home problems (long + details)
    By AllParadox in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 06:17 PM
  2. How do I use persistence ?
    By zaxonus in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 07:34 PM
  3. Questions About Persistence
    By mr-roboto in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 01:12 AM
  4. Install Seems to Have went OK(Details)...couple questions
    By BeatFreak in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 12:29 AM
  5. Boot & Persistence Questions in 3.4
    By newiaqua in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 07:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5

Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD

$145.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99