-
A linux version of Endnote
Hi, one reason that is stopping me from going all the way to convert to Linux for my machine is that I use a Windows based program called Endnote (a software to create bibliographic databases and also to cite while writing a paper in MS-Word). I havent been able to find a similar program that would work on a GNU-Linux system. Is anyone aware of such a program that I can use on Linux with OpenOffice? I had suggested ResearchSoft (the company that sells Endnote) that they should try to also release an Endnote version for Linux users but this is what I heard back from them:
"There are no plans to create a Linux version of EndNote. Our Web-based
bibliographic tool, WriteNote, works through a Web browser on all
platforms - including Linux. www.writenote.com.
We do hear requests for CWYW plug-ins for many different word processors
fairly often and we would love to be able to accommodate this - but this
is just not economically feasible. The MS Word CWYW plug-in is over 1
million lines of C++ code that would need to be heavily customized, and
tested for each application. We just do not have the staff bandwidth to
do this for all [or even some] of the other popular word processors."
I checked Writenote that the above email recommends but that is not exactly what I want. Anyway, would like to hear from others if anyone can provide some info about alternatives on Linux. Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I don't know of any specific software but I have read about OO.org OpenOffice.org Off-the-Wall: Back to School with Bibliographies
-
Senior Member
registered user
There's always CrossOver Office, which will allow you to easily install and use MS Word on Linux. There are two big drawbacks: CrossOver isn't free (as in speech or beer), and your Endnote application only runs with varying degrees of success, according to other CrossOver users.
-
Thanks. Those are useful suggestions. I think I will wait till I get a more reliable alternative to Endnote for Windows. I really love Knoppix so far and would like to move to running Debian from my hard disk once I get done with my dissertation defense. At least on one of my machines.
Similar Threads
-
By dtzxdtzx1 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-29-2007, 08:28 AM
-
By adamherb in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-25-2005, 06:20 AM
-
By SpankySTD in forum The Lounge
Replies: 20
Last Post: 06-22-2004, 04:22 PM
-
By ykhov in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 08:58 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum General Support
Replies: 23
Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:12 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Intel Core i5-12400 CPU 2.50GHz 6-Core 12-thread SRL5Y LGA 1700
$121.99

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested
$35.00

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor
$39.99

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$62.95

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad
$355.99

Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0
$38.00