Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Problem with second CD-Drive on Knoppix 3.8

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7

    Problem with second CD-Drive on Knoppix 3.8

    I'm having a problem with my CD Drives. I recently got a brand new Lite-On CD burner and am looking to burn stuff. Immediatly after I installed it I burned two disks fine, but then I rebooted. Ever since I rebooted I'v been having a problem with accessing the drive. The error message is that file:/mnt/cdrom doesn't exist. It does this when there is a blank disk or no disk in the drive. However, it works perfectly if one of the two disks that I just burned are in it. I also tried switching out which drive I boot off Knoppix from and which drive I access CD's from -- same error message. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7
    If I try to burn it anyways I get an error:

    cdrecord returned an unkown error (code 12)
    Cannot allocate memory.
    Please send me an email with the last output.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebones
    I'm having a problem with my CD Drives.
    It could be that your drive requires DMA to be enabled. I believe that V3.8 has it disabled by default, as do most later versions. Try entering the cheatcode "Knoppix dma" at the "Boot:_" prompt on the boot splash screen. If it solves your issue, look for other problems with drive related operations. I'm sure there is a reason for DMA to be turned off and that if you re-enable it, it could create other issues. It usually fixes the problem without any adverse effects in my experience, but I put in the disclaimer to be on the safe side.

    I would recommend that you download a later version of Knoppix since 3.8 is a little dated. If it is working well for you, or if there is a valid reason for using an older version, you might not want to switch, but 4.0.2 appears to be a little more capable with some hardware and there are many issues (bugs) that have been resolved. There might also be many more bugs created, but that is the way it goes!

    Please let us know how you make out. Good Luck!

Similar Threads

  1. USB KNOPPIX HARD DRIVE RECOGNITION PROBLEM
    By d1g1tal_ph3r3t in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-07-2008, 09:53 PM
  2. Problem accessin hard drive with knoppix
    By murtaza_16 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-24-2007, 05:27 PM
  3. problem copying linux drive to usb thumb drive
    By kennmurrah in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 10:09 AM
  4. problem with install knoppix on a second hard drive
    By dukka in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 07:00 AM
  5. Problem installing Knoppix on Hard drive
    By cantlin in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 12:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM 3270 Keyboard Beam Spring - With Manual - Vintage Rare Beamspring picture

IBM 3270 Keyboard Beam Spring - With Manual - Vintage Rare Beamspring

$3000.00



Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard  picture

Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard

$249.95



Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo picture

Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo

$299.00



Vintage Memorex Telex 122-Key AT Terminal Keyboard 96550264 picture

Vintage Memorex Telex 122-Key AT Terminal Keyboard 96550264

$100.00



Vintage PC sleeper case 2000 Pentium 4 full tower 6 drive bays picture

Vintage PC sleeper case 2000 Pentium 4 full tower 6 drive bays

$59.99



Iomega Clik 40MB 10-Pack New Sealed PocketZip Disks Vintage Media NOS picture

Iomega Clik 40MB 10-Pack New Sealed PocketZip Disks Vintage Media NOS

$69.99



Vintage PPI Super Sketch G2400 for Texas Instruments TI99/4A picture

Vintage PPI Super Sketch G2400 for Texas Instruments TI99/4A

$150.00



Rare Vintage Nec Mobile Gear II MC R430 Computer Japanese Windows Ce  picture

Rare Vintage Nec Mobile Gear II MC R430 Computer Japanese Windows Ce

$299.99



Vintage IBM WebSphere Studio 3.5 New Sealed picture

Vintage IBM WebSphere Studio 3.5 New Sealed

$100.00



Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s picture

Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s

$169.99