Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Problem with second CD-Drive on Knoppix 3.8

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7

    Problem with second CD-Drive on Knoppix 3.8

    I'm having a problem with my CD Drives. I recently got a brand new Lite-On CD burner and am looking to burn stuff. Immediatly after I installed it I burned two disks fine, but then I rebooted. Ever since I rebooted I'v been having a problem with accessing the drive. The error message is that file:/mnt/cdrom doesn't exist. It does this when there is a blank disk or no disk in the drive. However, it works perfectly if one of the two disks that I just burned are in it. I also tried switching out which drive I boot off Knoppix from and which drive I access CD's from -- same error message. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7
    If I try to burn it anyways I get an error:

    cdrecord returned an unkown error (code 12)
    Cannot allocate memory.
    Please send me an email with the last output.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebones
    I'm having a problem with my CD Drives.
    It could be that your drive requires DMA to be enabled. I believe that V3.8 has it disabled by default, as do most later versions. Try entering the cheatcode "Knoppix dma" at the "Boot:_" prompt on the boot splash screen. If it solves your issue, look for other problems with drive related operations. I'm sure there is a reason for DMA to be turned off and that if you re-enable it, it could create other issues. It usually fixes the problem without any adverse effects in my experience, but I put in the disclaimer to be on the safe side.

    I would recommend that you download a later version of Knoppix since 3.8 is a little dated. If it is working well for you, or if there is a valid reason for using an older version, you might not want to switch, but 4.0.2 appears to be a little more capable with some hardware and there are many issues (bugs) that have been resolved. There might also be many more bugs created, but that is the way it goes!

    Please let us know how you make out. Good Luck!

Similar Threads

  1. USB KNOPPIX HARD DRIVE RECOGNITION PROBLEM
    By d1g1tal_ph3r3t in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-07-2008, 09:53 PM
  2. Problem accessin hard drive with knoppix
    By murtaza_16 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-24-2007, 05:27 PM
  3. problem copying linux drive to usb thumb drive
    By kennmurrah in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 10:09 AM
  4. problem with install knoppix on a second hard drive
    By dukka in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 07:00 AM
  5. Problem installing Knoppix on Hard drive
    By cantlin in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 12:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK hynix 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RA0-10 Server Memory Ram HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF picture

SK hynix 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RA0-10 Server Memory Ram HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF

$57.99



Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW picture

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW

$1.39



ADATA DDR4 RAM 2666MHZ 16GB (2x8) TESTED WORKING picture

ADATA DDR4 RAM 2666MHZ 16GB (2x8) TESTED WORKING

$50.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Kingston 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-RB1-11 ECC REG Server Memory HP24D4R7D4MAM-32 picture

Kingston 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-RB1-11 ECC REG Server Memory HP24D4R7D4MAM-32

$140.00



Lot 4 Samsung 64gb PC4-25600 2Rx4 DDR4-3200AA ECC RDIMM Reg Server Memory RAM picture

Lot 4 Samsung 64gb PC4-25600 2Rx4 DDR4-3200AA ECC RDIMM Reg Server Memory RAM

$2649.00



SK Hynix 8GB 1RX4 PC4-2133P-RC0-10 Registered Server RAM HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF TD AB picture

SK Hynix 8GB 1RX4 PC4-2133P-RC0-10 Registered Server RAM HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF TD AB

$34.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98