Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Problem with second CD-Drive on Knoppix 3.8

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7

    Problem with second CD-Drive on Knoppix 3.8

    I'm having a problem with my CD Drives. I recently got a brand new Lite-On CD burner and am looking to burn stuff. Immediatly after I installed it I burned two disks fine, but then I rebooted. Ever since I rebooted I'v been having a problem with accessing the drive. The error message is that file:/mnt/cdrom doesn't exist. It does this when there is a blank disk or no disk in the drive. However, it works perfectly if one of the two disks that I just burned are in it. I also tried switching out which drive I boot off Knoppix from and which drive I access CD's from -- same error message. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7
    If I try to burn it anyways I get an error:

    cdrecord returned an unkown error (code 12)
    Cannot allocate memory.
    Please send me an email with the last output.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebones
    I'm having a problem with my CD Drives.
    It could be that your drive requires DMA to be enabled. I believe that V3.8 has it disabled by default, as do most later versions. Try entering the cheatcode "Knoppix dma" at the "Boot:_" prompt on the boot splash screen. If it solves your issue, look for other problems with drive related operations. I'm sure there is a reason for DMA to be turned off and that if you re-enable it, it could create other issues. It usually fixes the problem without any adverse effects in my experience, but I put in the disclaimer to be on the safe side.

    I would recommend that you download a later version of Knoppix since 3.8 is a little dated. If it is working well for you, or if there is a valid reason for using an older version, you might not want to switch, but 4.0.2 appears to be a little more capable with some hardware and there are many issues (bugs) that have been resolved. There might also be many more bugs created, but that is the way it goes!

    Please let us know how you make out. Good Luck!

Similar Threads

  1. USB KNOPPIX HARD DRIVE RECOGNITION PROBLEM
    By d1g1tal_ph3r3t in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-07-2008, 09:53 PM
  2. Problem accessin hard drive with knoppix
    By murtaza_16 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-24-2007, 05:27 PM
  3. problem copying linux drive to usb thumb drive
    By kennmurrah in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 10:09 AM
  4. problem with install knoppix on a second hard drive
    By dukka in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 07:00 AM
  5. Problem installing Knoppix on Hard drive
    By cantlin in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 12:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on picture

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on

$255.00



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Atari Light Pen Untested  For Atari 400 800 Xe Vintage Computer picture

Atari Light Pen Untested For Atari 400 800 Xe Vintage Computer

$70.00



Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Rare FOR PARTS OR REPAIR READ picture

Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Rare FOR PARTS OR REPAIR READ

$270.00



Atari Portfolio PARALLEL PRINTER INTERFACE NOS New Open Box picture

Atari Portfolio PARALLEL PRINTER INTERFACE NOS New Open Box

$29.88



Broken Atari 130XE Console System 130XE No Power picture

Broken Atari 130XE Console System 130XE No Power

$129.99



Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested picture

Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested

$149.99



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Only Tested READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Only Tested READ

$300.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested 48k READ

$370.00