-
Problem with second CD-Drive on Knoppix 3.8
I'm having a problem with my CD Drives. I recently got a brand new Lite-On CD burner and am looking to burn stuff. Immediatly after I installed it I burned two disks fine, but then I rebooted. Ever since I rebooted I'v been having a problem with accessing the drive. The error message is that file:/mnt/cdrom doesn't exist. It does this when there is a blank disk or no disk in the drive. However, it works perfectly if one of the two disks that I just burned are in it. I also tried switching out which drive I boot off Knoppix from and which drive I access CD's from -- same error message. Any ideas?
-
If I try to burn it anyways I get an error:
cdrecord returned an unkown error (code 12)
Cannot allocate memory.
Please send me an email with the last output.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Bluebones
I'm having a problem with my CD Drives.
It could be that your drive requires DMA to be enabled. I believe that V3.8 has it disabled by default, as do most later versions. Try entering the cheatcode "Knoppix dma" at the "Boot:_" prompt on the boot splash screen. If it solves your issue, look for other problems with drive related operations. I'm sure there is a reason for DMA to be turned off and that if you re-enable it, it could create other issues. It usually fixes the problem without any adverse effects in my experience, but I put in the disclaimer to be on the safe side.
I would recommend that you download a later version of Knoppix since 3.8 is a little dated. If it is working well for you, or if there is a valid reason for using an older version, you might not want to switch, but 4.0.2 appears to be a little more capable with some hardware and there are many issues (bugs) that have been resolved. There might also be many more bugs created, but that is the way it goes!
Please let us know how you make out. Good Luck!
Similar Threads
-
By d1g1tal_ph3r3t in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-07-2008, 09:53 PM
-
By murtaza_16 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-24-2007, 05:27 PM
-
By kennmurrah in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-01-2006, 10:09 AM
-
By dukka in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-28-2004, 07:00 AM
-
By cantlin in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 08-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121
$69.99

Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2
$135.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73