Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Strange problem: Remastered version boots only on laptops

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4

    Strange problem: Remastered version boots only on laptops

    Hi knoppix gurus,

    I have encountered a strange problem while remastering Knoppix CD 4.0.2. The resulting iso can be booted on laptops, but not on desktops. I have tested this with 4 desktops and 3 laptops. The laptops behave perfectly as expected, but the desktops just show the boot cdrom: prompt for a second, I hear some CD seeking activity, and then they go on with their normal booting procedure (GRUB), ignoring my remastered Knoppix version altogether. At first I thought this is a BIOS problem, but double checking with the official knoppix 4.0.2 CD release revealed that the desktops are perfectly capable of booting live cds.

    My modifications:
    I changed the bootloader background image, some KDE stuff and removed some packages and installed some special software (OPAL, a programming language). I use the procedure described in the remastering how to, I've done this before and it worked so far. The iso has about the size of ~670 Mb, so it should fit on a regular cd-r(w).

    I tried CD-Rs, I tried CD-RWs. I replaced my modified boot loader gfx with the original one from knoppix. I tried to master on Debian 3.1 and on Arch Linux with different versions of mkisofs. I tried different cd-recorders. I have no clue what else to try.

    Please, what am I doing wrong??? Any tips? What could I try? What is so different between laptops and desktops???

    - askadar

    This is the script I use to remaster:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    
    PROJECTDIR="/mnt/hda9/knx"
    ROOT="source/KNOPPIX"
    MASTER="master"
    PREPARER="askadar <[email protected]>"
    SORT=""
    #SORT="-sort mkisofs.sort"
    
    CREATE_CFS=/usr/bin/create_compressed_fs
    
    
    cd $PROJECTDIR
    nice mkisofs $SORT -iso-level 4 -R -U -V "OPALIX filesystem" -publisher "freitagsrunde.org" -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad "$PROJECTDIR/$ROOT"  | nice $CREATE_CFS - 65536 > "$PROJECTDIR/$MASTER/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX"
    
    cd "$PROJECTDIR/$MASTER"
    rm -f KNOPPIX/md5sums
    find -type f -not -name md5sums -not -name boot.cat -exec md5sum {} \; >> KNOPPIX/md5sums
    
    cd $PROJECTDIR
    nice mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "OPALIX 2005" -publisher "freitagsrunde.org" -p "$PREPARER" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o opalix.iso "$PROJECTDIR/$MASTER"
    
    kdialog -msgbox "OPALIX ist fertig gebacken!"
    The remastered version: http://wiki.freitagsrunde.org/Opalix

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    Re: Strange problem: Remastered version boots only on laptop

    Quote Originally Posted by askadar
    Hi knoppix gurus,
    I have encountered a strange problem while remastering Knoppix CD 4.0.2. The resulting iso can be booted on laptops, but not on desktops.
    I'm not sure what is causing this but I had a same kind of problem last summer. My fault was to make too big logo.16 (640x480). Now my logo is 640x400 and it works fine in laptops and also in dekstops.

    Btw, nowadays I first check my remastered Knoppix using Qemu before burning it to CD:
    Code:
    qemu -cdrom /path/to/knoppix.iso
    -tapsa-

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4

    Re: Strange problem: Remastered version boots only on laptop

    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    I'm not sure what is causing this but I had a same kind of problem last summer. My fault was to make too big logo.16 (640x480). Now my logo is 640x400 and it works fine in laptops and also in dekstops.
    My logo.16 is 640x400, so I should be ok. Using the original knoppix 4.0.2 logo.16 doesn't change anything, either.

    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    Btw, nowadays I first check my remastered Knoppix using Qemu before burning it to CD:
    Code:
    qemu -cdrom /path/to/knoppix.iso
    Yeah, but my problem is, that it does not boot on some PCs, so if it works in qemu it doesn't mean that my problem is solved. It works in qemu, btw.

    Thanks for your tipps anyway.

    Meanwhile I checked the ukluug scripts for hints, but didn't find anything useful. I copied the code to sort the isolinux stuff to the front of the iso, but it makes no difference.

    For the record, my remaster skript now looks like this:

    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    
    PROJECTDIR="/mnt/hda9/knx"
    ROOT="source/KNOPPIX"
    MASTER="master"
    PREPARER="askadar <[email protected]>"
    SORT=""
    #SORT="-sort mkisofs.sort"
    
    CREATE_CFS=/usr/bin/create_compressed_fs
    
    if [ "$1" != "nocomp" ]; then
      cd $PROJECTDIR
      nice mkisofs $SORT -iso-level 4 -R -U -V "OPALIX filesystem" -publisher "freitagsrunde.org" -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad "$PROJECTDIR/$ROOT"  | nice $CREATE_CFS - 65536 > "$PROJECTDIR/$MASTER/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX"
    
      cd "$PROJECTDIR/$MASTER"
      rm -f KNOPPIX/md5sums
      find -type f -not -name md5sums -not -name boot.cat -exec md5sum {} \; >> KNOPPIX/md5sums
    else
      echo "Skipping compression..."
    fi
    
    cd $PROJECTDIR
    rm -f /tmp/knoppix.sort
    echo "$PROJECTDIR/$MASTER/boot/isolinux/* 111111"      >/tmp/knoppix.sort
    echo "$PROJECTDIR/$MASTER/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX 11111"      >>/tmp/knoppix.sort
    
    nice mkisofs -sort /tmp/knoppix.sort -pad -l -r -J -v -V "OPALIX 2005" -publisher "freitagsrunde.org" -p "$PREPARER" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o opalix.iso "$PROJECTDIR/$MASTER"
    
    kdialog -msgbox "OPALIX ist fertig gebacken!"

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4
    Please, any tips? Any idea what could be causing this?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4
    Further testing has shown that some desktops are OK. Desktops with an Award BIOS seem to have the problem, others don't.

    Does anybody know any special caveats of Award BIOSes?

Similar Threads

  1. Remastered version of Knoppix 4.0.2 available
    By tr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-12-2005, 08:26 PM
  2. my remastered knoppix boots very slow
    By pubo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 08:34 AM
  3. Adding a mouse driver to a remastered version
    By drasey in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 07:34 PM
  4. Remastered version with 2.4.21 kernel
    By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 08:27 AM
  5. Problem - boots, boots.....and so
    By j0x in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



Atari 800 Computer CX801 10K ROM Personality Module CX801 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 800 Computer CX801 10K ROM Personality Module CX801 - Works Perfectly

$23.95



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



Atari 810 FLOPPY DISK DRIVE picture

Atari 810 FLOPPY DISK DRIVE

$47.99



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



VTG Atari 130XE Home Computer System 130 XE  Parts or Repair READ picture

VTG Atari 130XE Home Computer System 130 XE Parts or Repair READ

$150.00