Quote Originally Posted by kel333
I have now recovered my files by transferring over wireless to my desktop via the Samba network application in knoppix!
That's great! The hard part is done.

Quote Originally Posted by kel333
My notebook does have 512mb Ram, which is sufficient I think to run knoppix in ram, as suggested
Mine has 1024Meg and it works with the "toram" option. I would suspect that you would need at least enough to hold the CD (about 700Meg) and then a little more for overhead. I have not tried it using 512, but it would probably only work if there were a big enough swap file.

Quote Originally Posted by kel333
there are quite a few to choose from...
You might want to browse here: www.distrowatch.com www.linux.org You can get good information about a distro from these sources, once you have identified a few of interest.

Glad to see your issue resolved and your system back up. Good luck on the Audio Applications. Let me know if you find something worthwhile. I have some friends that might find something like that useful.

Good Luck!