Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix( or Kanotix) 3.8.2 or 4.0.2 install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5

    Knoppix( or Kanotix) 3.8.2 or 4.0.2 install

    I installed Knoppix 3.8.2 in my Compaq Armada M300 laptop two days ago. I broke apt doing¨ # apt-get install synaptic¨ befor¨ # apt-get update¨ for what i decided to install again Knoppix. Today I tried Knoppix 4.0.2 and loved many of its featrures( automatic mounting of USB devices, OOo2 beta installed and a nicer windows interface) however I find the icon animation of the toolbar really *ugly*. So here are my questiions.
    1) Is there a way to install Knoppix 4.0.2 and having the zooming effect over the icons as in KDE 3.3? If not is possible to revert to KDE 3.3?
    2) Will a new fresh installation erase all my files even if I use the original partition
    3)After all the alsamixer stuff how can I restore the speaker icon of the toolbar?

    Thanks,

    Julian

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Knoppix( or Kanotix) 3.8.2 or 4.0.2 install

    Quote Originally Posted by jln_d
    1) Is there a way to install Knoppix 4.0.2 and having the zooming effect over the icons as in KDE 3.3? If not is possible to revert to KDE 3.3?
    2) Will a new fresh installation erase all my files even if I use the original partition
    3)After all the alsamixer stuff how can I restore the speaker icon of the toolbar?
    1) No to zooming effect. Its been removed from KDE 3.4.x & up. As for using KDE 3.3.x, it is currently in Debian testing. Use aptitude or synaptic to remove KDE. Then install KDE base & libraries but this time select the 3.3.x version from Debian stable.

    2) New install of Knoppix will erase everything on the destination partition.

    3) Sorry, I don't know.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5

    Kernel panic after re- installing

    I´m in trobles now.
    I´m recieveing¨ Kernel panic- non syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,2)¨ every time that I try to einstall Knoppix 4.0.2!
    I noted that there are two 2.6.12 Debian kernels at grub...
    It is posisble to format *all* the hard disk while booting from the cd and after that starting with the install? If yes, how can format the hd from Knoppix?

    J

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    17

    Re: Kernel panic after re- installing

    Quote Originally Posted by jln_d
    I´m in trobles now.
    I´m recieveing¨ Kernel panic- non syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,2)¨ every time that I try to einstall Knoppix 4.0.2!
    I noted that there are two 2.6.12 Debian kernels at grub...
    It is posisble to format *all* the hard disk while booting from the cd and after that starting with the install? If yes, how can format the hd from Knoppix?

    J
    If you can obtain the book "Knoppix Hacks" 100 Industrial-Strength Tips & Tools by Kyle Rankin, you use the Knoppix CD as a "recovery" tool and you can format Linux, Windows and fix Grub and other tools.
    Siggy

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5

    Thinks are bigining to go well

    Thanks for your hints!

    I found in a recent discussion a solution for the kernel problem modifying a bug in the file /boot/grub/menu.lst.
    Now, uninstalling KDE 3.4 and installing 3.3 is becoming a long task due to interdependences.
    May it be possible to add the USB desktop mounting features of Knoppix 4.0 to 3.8?
    Maybe instaliin 3.8 and adding these USB features and OOo2.
    If somebody has an answer it will save me a bunch of hours solvinf dependences.

    Julian

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
  2. Speedtouch 330 HDD install issues (Kanotix)
    By hornet in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2005, 09:54 PM
  3. Kanotix HDD install prob?
    By lestat730 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 10:32 PM
  4. Kanotix - how do I install?
    By Harry Kuhman in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 09:00 AM
  5. kanotix hdd install partition
    By arie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 07:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



A LOT of 20 RAM Sticks G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR4 F4-2400C16S-8GRS - Test Passed. picture

A LOT of 20 RAM Sticks G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR4 F4-2400C16S-8GRS - Test Passed.

$1100.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 UDIMM w/ XMP CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 picture

Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 UDIMM w/ XMP CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

$90.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Lot 500 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Registered Server Memory RAM picture

Lot 500 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Registered Server Memory RAM

$47988.00



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00