Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix Newbie needs guidance on Installing (real player)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix Newbie needs guidance on Installing (real player)

    Right folks, I'm a new convert to the linux idea. I love it to bits.

    I'm using knoppix. Problem is I'm not sure if/how to install programs. And if I'll need to reinstall every reboot (since knoppix boots from a boot CD)....

    Specifically the only thing I'm really keen to get my knoppix install to do is stream radio content from http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/ Unfortunately it's in Real Player format.

    Firstly what programs should I install?

    Secondly how (in an idiot proof fashion) would I go about downloading and installing it?

    Thirdly, Will I need to repeat this proceedure every time I reboot my computer?

    Thanks Folks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    126
    https://pfs.mozilla.org/plugins/

    should help.
    Will I need to repeat this proceedure every time I reboot my computer?
    I imagine so. It may be possible to save the settings and realplayer program to a usb stick, but I don't know about this.
    Maybe somebody else on this forum knows about this.
    Regards,
    Mark

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    cheers m8. (It makes me feel a bit stupid asking this)

    Exactly how do I go about downloading and installing it etc.?

    I've used the firefox update service before trying to get this plugin. I think I succeeded in downloading a file....I still couldn't get it working though, and didn't really know what to do from there.....


    PS Does anyone know if there is a program to customise your Knoppix boot CDs or something to add/remove different software to your personal bundle?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    126
    Exactly how do I go about downloading and installing it etc.?
    Go to
    http://www.real.com/linux/?rppr=rnwk...0104freeplayer

    click on the download button
    Ensure that the .bin file you downloaded is executable. You can make the .bin file executable by running the "chmod a+x RealPlayer10GOLD.bin" command from a terminal window.

    Then ideally you need to install it as superuser root
    The list of commands to run from a terminal window will be something like the following (pressing <enter> after each line).

    su
    cp /home/knoppix/RealPlayer10GOLD.bin /root
    cd /root
    ls
    ./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin



    Run the .bin file by typing "./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin". Follow the prompts provided to finish installing the player.

    The ls command is not strictly necessary, but it should show the list of files in the root folder.

    Remastering Knoppix to your own personal taste is possible, but a bit of a challenge. You might be best advised first to do a hard-disk install of Knoppix so that your downloads are saved and you just need to reboot your computer to carry on where you left off - unlike running from the CDROM where all your changes will be lost. Also, remastering Knoppix to include proprietary software like RealPlayer makes it illegal for you to redistribute your modified Knoppix without permission from the copyright holders.
    Regards,
    Mark

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    Real player 10 is a download from Klik .cmg files as well.

    Check the "hand-made-cmg files" in the Klik store after initiating Klik.

    The real player file would then be one-half normal install size and appear on the desktop, actually running on-the-fly when utilized, with cramfs as the mechanism.

    Best to you.....

Similar Threads

  1. HOW to install real player 10 .bin
    By eslamgm in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2006, 01:37 AM
  2. Real Player
    By jtheb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2005, 02:10 PM
  3. Real Player, a real Headache...
    By chris-harry in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 03:36 PM
  4. Installing Real Player
    By djtwok in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 12:47 PM
  5. Real Player
    By ramu_i in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 04:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4

$179.95



AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF picture

AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF

$215.00



Lenovo ThinkSystem SN550 Blade | 7X16 | 01KP356 | Drives and RAM not included picture

Lenovo ThinkSystem SN550 Blade | 7X16 | 01KP356 | Drives and RAM not included

$299.99