-
Knoppix Newbie needs guidance on Installing (real player)
Right folks, I'm a new convert to the linux idea. I love it to bits.
I'm using knoppix. Problem is I'm not sure if/how to install programs. And if I'll need to reinstall every reboot (since knoppix boots from a boot CD)....
Specifically the only thing I'm really keen to get my knoppix install to do is stream radio content from http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/ Unfortunately it's in Real Player format.
Firstly what programs should I install?
Secondly how (in an idiot proof fashion) would I go about downloading and installing it?
Thirdly, Will I need to repeat this proceedure every time I reboot my computer?
Thanks Folks!
-
Senior Member
registered user
https://pfs.mozilla.org/plugins/
should help.
Will I need to repeat this proceedure every time I reboot my computer?
I imagine so. It may be possible to save the settings and realplayer program to a usb stick, but I don't know about this.
Maybe somebody else on this forum knows about this.
Regards,
Mark
-
cheers m8. (It makes me feel a bit stupid asking this)
Exactly how do I go about downloading and installing it etc.?
I've used the firefox update service before trying to get this plugin. I think I succeeded in downloading a file....I still couldn't get it working though, and didn't really know what to do from there.....
PS Does anyone know if there is a program to customise your Knoppix boot CDs or something to add/remove different software to your personal bundle?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Exactly how do I go about downloading and installing it etc.?
Go to
http://www.real.com/linux/?rppr=rnwk...0104freeplayer
click on the download button
Ensure that the .bin file you downloaded is executable. You can make the .bin file executable by running the "chmod a+x RealPlayer10GOLD.bin" command from a terminal window.
Then ideally you need to install it as superuser root
The list of commands to run from a terminal window will be something like the following (pressing <enter> after each line).
su
cp /home/knoppix/RealPlayer10GOLD.bin /root
cd /root
ls
./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
Run the .bin file by typing "./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin". Follow the prompts provided to finish installing the player.
The ls command is not strictly necessary, but it should show the list of files in the root folder.
Remastering Knoppix to your own personal taste is possible, but a bit of a challenge. You might be best advised first to do a hard-disk install of Knoppix so that your downloads are saved and you just need to reboot your computer to carry on where you left off - unlike running from the CDROM where all your changes will be lost. Also, remastering Knoppix to include proprietary software like RealPlayer makes it illegal for you to redistribute your modified Knoppix without permission from the copyright holders.
Regards,
Mark
-
Senior Member
registered user
Real player 10 is a download from Klik .cmg files as well.
Check the "hand-made-cmg files" in the Klik store after initiating Klik.
The real player file would then be one-half normal install size and appear on the desktop, actually running on-the-fly when utilized, with cramfs as the mechanism.
Best to you.....
Similar Threads
-
By eslamgm in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-07-2006, 01:37 AM
-
By jtheb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-25-2005, 02:10 PM
-
By chris-harry in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-02-2005, 03:36 PM
-
By djtwok in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-15-2004, 12:47 PM
-
By ramu_i in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-18-2003, 04:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

Intel Core Ultra 9 CPU 285K 24 cores (8 P-cores + 16 E-cores) up to 5.7 Ghz
$475.00

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$399.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$400.00

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$395.95

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop
$220.36