Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Getting a Linksys WPC54G v3 to work woth Knoppix 3.6

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Portsmouth, NH USA
    Posts
    1

    Getting a Linksys WPC54G v3 to work woth Knoppix 3.6

    I'm trying to do all this on a Gateway Solo 2500, Pent 333Mhz, 192 Ram. I've looked for Linux drivers for the card, but the only help I've found is people writing their own code to make it work. This is way beyond my abilities. I'm not a programmer. I'm moderately capeable as a user. I have set up my own PCs, and networks, installed cards, memory and drives, and S/W, but coding ... not a chance! Is there any downloadable drivers available {preferably with instructions!} I really appreciate any available help. Thanks,
    [email protected]

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    I don't know if these steps will work with Knoppix 3.6 (as I am using the DVD version), but you can try it.

    1) Download the Windows drivers for the card from Linksys website (and extract them to a folder), or use the CD that came with the card.

    2) Navigate to the folder that contains the drivers you've extracted (you can navigate using a Terminal Window, but the easiest way I think is to use Konqueror to browse to the folder, then chools Tools, Terminal.

    3) at the commmand prompt, do
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -i LSTINDS.INF
    ( I've seen a lot of posts where users say to use the "lsbcmnds.inf" file, but that didn't work for me.

    4) then do
    Code:
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    You can then enter "ndiswrapper -l" to see if the your card has been detected. (and by this time, the power light on the card should be lit)

    You can also try entering "iwconfig" to see the interface where the card is present (probably will show up as the interface for "wlan0" )

    Since mine shows up on the wlan0 interface, my next command is
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 essid MYESSID; pump -i wlan0
    In the above, you replace "MYESSID" with the essid name of your wireless network, and replace wlan0 with whatever interface your WPC54g is appears on.

    When I'm away from home, I use Kwifi ( found under Kmenu / Knoppix / Network / Kwifi Manager ), to scan for available networks, then I enter the command above, but replace "MYESSID" with the essid's shown in Kwifi.

    There are other arguments that you will need to enter with the last "iwconfig" command if your network is set up with encryption, but I have kept things very simple at home by just running my wireless network open, but with MAC address filtering so that my laptop's MAC is the only thing allowed to connect.

Similar Threads

  1. still trying top get linksys wmp54g to work
    By CJWertz in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 06:54 PM
  2. [FIXED] How to Get My Linksys WMP54GS To Work In Knoppix
    By savedbygrace in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-31-2006, 07:52 PM
  3. Linksys WPC54G ver.4
    By thatsflash in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-09-2006, 06:22 PM
  4. Linksys WPC54G (ver 2)
    By warrenite in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 05:45 AM
  5. WPC54G Linksys wireless-g notebook adapter
    By sniper in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-28-2004, 06:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$369.59



Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack picture

Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack

$88.90



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00



Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC picture

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC

$4.95