Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Downloading Software for knoppix

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    13

    Downloading Software for knoppix

    in a previous thread i have questioned the installation of software (eg:/ how it is done)...
    i did not really understand how to install things so i figured the best way is through practice..

    i am creating this to ask people where can i download software that i can install on my knoppix installation, and what versions of softwares do i download and how to install them...
    I understand that this is a very, very large subject but i am quite new to knoppix and from what i have experienced so far it has been rather daunting, i have not even been able to use my modem (neither internal nor external)...

    if this has all been asked before or there is a guide or free possibly HANDBOOK to knoppix and doing the sorts of tasks, could you please point me in the right direction or just post what you know that could answer my questions...

    thank you in advance...

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    93

    install

    I don't know how to use Unionfs so this info is for knoppix installed to hard drive.Load the Konsole screen. Type su so that you are the root user (like an administrator). Then after pressing ENTER type dselect update or type apt-get update. This updates the links to the download sites (I think) and you will see the conections to the ftp sites scrolling down the page until you get a message that says some index files could not be loaded or somethng similar. If you don't do this the packages won't download. Then install the package you want using apt-get <package name> e.g. apt-get openoffice.org , apt-get tomcat5. To delete software use apt -get --purge remove <package name>, but be carefull as stuff may be deleted that you still need and not everything is avilable for re-installation. If you read the text when deletinh/installing it will say which software is going to be installed, what extra packages will be installed with them, what will be removed if you install the packages as well as what suggested or recommended packages are available.If you look at the remastering howto which is under the Documentation tab at the top of the screen,, you can find most of the basic codes for changing knoppix.I haven't tried Unionfs yet, but I think if you create a persistent home on your hard drive (KMenu------KNOPPIX-----configure-----create a persistent home), baring in mind though that Knoppix can't write to Windows NTFS partitions, then I think you can boot Knoppix, save and remove packages etc. without having the whole Knoppix disk installed. type Unionfs into search as Like I said I am not sure

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    13
    i cant connect to the internet with my knoppix installation so i am pretty much talking about manual installation...

    thanks for trying to help me, please continue..

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    93

    installation

    basically manual installation should be the same. Before I realised that it was at debian I installed quanta/koffice manually and it worked more or less the same. If you have a copy of a debian package then make a directory to place the file in. I know that knoppix stores alot in /usr/share e.g. /usr/share/tomcat5. I installed netbeans in /usr/local/netbeans.I think the /usr/ directories are global, but I am not sure but you can google Linux filesystems to find out where to create your installation directory. Then do dpkg -i <package name> and it should install as if you had done it over the net in the directory that debian would usually choose. I think the net connection is only for ease of download. however, when I had to install quanta it didn't tell me that I needed cervisia until I had installed and loaded it. with a manual install this meant trawling through the net to find the package. however with Koffice I found all the support packages there at debian but it was a pain copying them all. If the required support packages are not installed then you will get a broken packages error message with some indication of what packages are needed to get the software to work

    If the package is RPM or Slackware or whatever then do alien --to-deb <package name> . then do dpkg -i <package name>

    mkdir /mnt/usr/share
    cp /mnt/cdrom/tomcat5675687.rpm /usr/share/tomcat5
    alien --to-deb /usr/share/tomcat5/tomcat5675687.rpm
    dpkg -i /usr/share/tomcat5/tomcat5_9_7.deb

    Knoppix has stuff for unzipping zip files e.g. unzip tar.gz, but I am not sure what else (e.g. unzip wapide1.0.zip). The files will unzip to whichever directory you are in at the time.
    Netbeans with jdk5 was a bin file and installed by changing permissions and then executing the bin file (instructions were on the download site)e.g.
    cp /mnt/cdrom/jdk1.5_67-nb-linux.bin /usr/local/.java
    chmod 755 jdk1.5_67-nb-linux.bin
    ./jdk1.5_67-nb-linux.bin.
    So having an internet connection is not essential but makes life alot easier. Could you not take your box to a friends house plug in there and download as you don't need to install software to connect to the internet. (you may have to do KNOPPIX---Network----ADSL/PPPOE and install the relevant driver for your box then do netcardconfiguration)

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    93

    install

    sorry mkdir /usr/share

    to see what drivers you need for network connection do lsmod. I have an ethernet connection (from a company called NTL in England )on board and pci which needed pegasus (find at ADSL/pppoe at kernel/drivers/usb/net and I also needed via-rhine look in kernel/drivers/net)

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    93

    install

    also 3.9 has a buggy Unionfs which supposedly causes problems.3.8.2 seems a bit better and 3.7 will do your network connection/hardware recognition automatically so it might be better to start with that then go on to later versions. I haven't looked at 4.0 yet so I can't say

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    93

    install

    find earlier knoppix versions at ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-28-2005, 09:16 PM
  2. Bad problems downloading Knoppix 4.0 DVD
    By jacksonon in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 10:37 PM
  3. Downloading music using Knoppix
    By kornface13 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 03:16 PM
  4. Downloading Knoppix
    By kessragnell in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-25-2004, 06:59 AM
  5. Downloading & Running new linux software
    By Coolnat2004 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-12-2003, 06:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD picture

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD

$100.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00