Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 4.0.2 USB - cruzer mini flash drive problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2

    4.0.2 USB - cruzer mini flash drive problem

    Laptop: Dell Inspiron 700M

    I was using Knoppix 3.8 with no problems (except for the known WiFi problem).

    I downloaded 4.0.2, DVD and CD, and now when I plug my cruzer mini flash drive into my USB port, no icon is generated onto my desktop. When I try to manually map to where it was before (/mnt/usb1) it doesn't exist. It's as if hotplug no longer works for me in 4.0.2.

    I have shut my laptop off, plugged my mini cruzer into the USB port, and re-loaded Knoppix 4.0.2 with no luck.

    I have tested this with the DVD and the CD of Knoppix 4.0.2 and both have the same problem. I downloaded the DVD from the Greece mirror and the CD from the Purdue mirror.

    When I put my 3.8 CD back into my laptop after all of this testing with 4.0.2, my USB recognizes my cruzer mini flash drive just fine, even when I plug it in at the Knoppix desktop.

    I have searched as far as I can and cannot find a solution to my problem. I am a Knoppix newbie and I think I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    Hi,

    1 - Plug you usb key.
    2- Open a root shell (KNOPPIX/root shell), and then type #usbview. Does your key appear ?

    If your key appear, type cat /proc/partitions, still in the root shell. Your key should key mark as uba1 or ubaX.. Is that correct ? What does appear on your shell ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2
    Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
    When I open the root shell and follow your directions, this is what i get:

    root@0[knoppix]# #usbview (then I press enter)
    root@0[knoppix]#

    basically when i hit enter, it just goes to the next line like nothing happened.
    when i type in cat /proc/partitions this is what i get:

    root@0[knoppix]# cat /proc/partitions
    major minor #blocks name

    3 0 78150744 hda
    3 1 40131 hda1
    3 2 75216330 hda2
    3 3 2883667 hda3
    240 0 5270144 cloop0
    240 2 1873216 cloop2
    root@0[knoppix]#

    Of course, everything is more lined up in columns than I can convey here. it does nothing more than that.
    Again, thank you and thanks to anyone that can help me.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    Ok, so It seems you have 3 parts in your hard drive hda. I see 2 problems :

    1 - usbview doesnot work, this is weird. May be your kernel does not support usb... I d'ont really know, but usbview has always worked on all the system where I have tested Knoppix.

    2 -I don't really know what is cloop on your system, I don't have it on mine. Try to create a directory called test in your directory /mnt
    As root, type:
    Code:
     #mount -o umask=000 /dev/cloop /mnt/test
    Then, use knoqueror to see/mnt/test

    What happens yet ?

Similar Threads

  1. Boot From Cruzer Mini Possible?
    By jMon54 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 04:40 AM
  2. USB cruzer mini thumb drive
    By rlauer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 03:34 AM
  3. sandisk cruzer mini usb flash drive
    By khrtt in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 02:49 AM
  4. unable to write to cruzer mini from live cd
    By onespot in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2004, 04:34 PM
  5. FLASH DRIVE Problem!
    By ReaLity in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-13-2003, 06:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$714.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



HighPoint RS6614V 4-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID Enclosure - Mint picture

HighPoint RS6614V 4-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID Enclosure - Mint

$349.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA  HDD picture

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD

$14.99



Promise Technology Pegasus2 R4 4Bay Thunderbolt 2 RAID Storage Array 8TB G2U picture

Promise Technology Pegasus2 R4 4Bay Thunderbolt 2 RAID Storage Array 8TB G2U

$169.99



1 Dell Ultra SSD M.2 NVMe PCI-Express x16 Solid State Storage Adapter Card 6N9RH picture

1 Dell Ultra SSD M.2 NVMe PCI-Express x16 Solid State Storage Adapter Card 6N9RH

$59.99