Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: XP as default boot How?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6

    XP as default boot How?

    I want to set the grub to XP defalt. I see many topics on the edit to savedefault or 0 or1 or3 but how do I do this? where do I find the Grub program and how do I edit it? Do I use Konsole? Do I use Root Shell?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    /boot/grub/menu.lst You can do it in File managaer, Super user mode, with mouse

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    13
    I used wingrub from http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/ to boot into dvdrom image.

    after installed wingrub, select Tools->Install Grub->Boot From BOOT.INI->Install

    The PC boot up would be XP boot menu. XP default boot option.
    Their will be a line 'The Grub', select it will boot into Grub boot menu. Then boot your knoppix cd/dvd image file.
    The configuration is C:\Grub\menu.lst

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    13
    The menu.lst I use included the following line:
    title Knoppix 4.0.2 DVD Official Release from ISO (KDE)
    kernel (hd0,1)/knx402/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us nomce quiet noprompt dma myconf=scan
    initrd (hd0,1)/knx402/minirt.gz
    boot

    title Knoppix 4.0.2 DVD Official Release from ISO (Gnome)
    kernel (hd0,1)/knx402/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us nomce quiet noprompt dma desktop=gnome myconf=scan
    initrd (hd0,1)/knx402/minirt.gz
    boot

    title boot back to Windows XP menu
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1
    boot

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by tdjokic
    /boot/grub/menu.lst You can do it in File managaer, Super user mode, with mouse
    File Manager? where is that? How do I start File Manager?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ckyip
    The menu.lst I use included the following line:
    title Knoppix 4.0.2 DVD Official Release from ISO (KDE)
    kernel (hd0,1)/knx402/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us nomce quiet noprompt dma myconf=scan
    initrd (hd0,1)/knx402/minirt.gz
    boot

    title Knoppix 4.0.2 DVD Official Release from ISO (Gnome)
    kernel (hd0,1)/knx402/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us nomce quiet noprompt dma desktop=gnome myconf=scan
    initrd (hd0,1)/knx402/minirt.gz
    boot

    title boot back to Windows XP menu
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    Where do you type all this ? I have no idea where this stuff is. Where do I start? What program do I start? Where is the program to edit located?

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    13
    I think he said sudo or su
    The root user
    I think enter 'sudo vim /boot/grub/menu.lst' in command prompt will be easier.
    press i for editing.
    Then press 'Esc' key then ':wq' to exit.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by nebtem
    Quote Originally Posted by ckyip
    The menu.lst I use included the following line:
    title Knoppix 4.0.2 DVD Official Release from ISO (KDE)
    kernel (hd0,1)/knx402/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us nomce quiet noprompt dma myconf=scan
    initrd (hd0,1)/knx402/minirt.gz
    boot

    title Knoppix 4.0.2 DVD Official Release from ISO (Gnome)
    kernel (hd0,1)/knx402/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us nomce quiet noprompt dma desktop=gnome myconf=scan
    initrd (hd0,1)/knx402/minirt.gz
    boot

    title boot back to Windows XP menu
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    Where do you type all this ? I have no idea where this stuff is. Where do I start? What program do I start? Where is the program to edit located?
    sudo vim /boot/grub/menu.lst

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ckyip
    Quote Originally Posted by nebtem
    Quote Originally Posted by ckyip
    The menu.lst I use included the following line:
    title Knoppix 4.0.2 DVD Official Release from ISO (KDE)
    kernel (hd0,1)/knx402/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us nomce quiet noprompt dma myconf=scan
    initrd (hd0,1)/knx402/minirt.gz
    boot

    title Knoppix 4.0.2 DVD Official Release from ISO (Gnome)
    kernel (hd0,1)/knx402/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us nomce quiet noprompt dma desktop=gnome myconf=scan
    initrd (hd0,1)/knx402/minirt.gz
    boot

    title boot back to Windows XP menu
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    Where do you type all this ? I have no idea where this stuff is. Where do I start? What program do I start? Where is the program to edit located?
    sudo vim /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Were do I enter this sudo vim? I have tried blue fish, terminal root etc nothing works I can not save any changes they system will not let me. [/i]

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    13
    If you in root shell, just enter:
    vim /boot/grub/menu.lst
    or
    nvi /boot/grub/menu.lst

    vim or nvi is editor on command prompt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Getting GRUB to Use Windows as default Boot
    By johnwaynegoodin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 10:44 AM
  2. knoppix 5.3 won't boot in default mode
    By Gemu in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 09:32 AM
  3. Default OS boot up.
    By boricua in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 06:02 PM
  4. change default boot
    By ismanpa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-24-2006, 11:04 AM
  5. how to make kernel 2.6.6 the default boot?
    By cronex2000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 03:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A picture

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A

$44.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



SAMSUNG 860 PRO 512GB V-NAND SSD (MZ7KH512HAJQ) - TESTED - 98% picture

SAMSUNG 860 PRO 512GB V-NAND SSD (MZ7KH512HAJQ) - TESTED - 98%

$59.99



MICRON 2200S 256GB NVMe SSD (MTFDHBA256TCK-2AS1AABDA) - TESTED - 71% picture

MICRON 2200S 256GB NVMe SSD (MTFDHBA256TCK-2AS1AABDA) - TESTED - 71%

$24.99



Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health picture

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health

$35.99



TOSHIBA 256GB NVMe (KBG40ZNS256G) - TESTED - 40% picture

TOSHIBA 256GB NVMe (KBG40ZNS256G) - TESTED - 40%

$14.99



M2 2280 PCIe 4.0 solid-state drive high-speed storage device 1080P RO 2TB NGFF picture

M2 2280 PCIe 4.0 solid-state drive high-speed storage device 1080P RO 2TB NGFF

$99.00