-
Moved to Debian (but cant proceed from Command prompt)
I downloaded and burnt a Live CD for Knoppix 4.0.2 and tried to boot my system from the Live CD, everything works just fine. All my hardware is automatically detected and it automatically takes me to the GUI interface just like Windows would do. Amazingly easy. I had no idea that Linux could be such a hassle free OS. I just popped in my CD and everything worked just as they should. I then decided to go full fledged with Linux.
I then downloaded debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a "Sarge" and burnt the CD 1 (i386-binary) and installed it on a partition of my Thinkpad T20 laptop.
I can now boot in Debian and go to the command prompt but cannot go to GUI by typing "startx" at my normal login (not root login). I cannot startx even from root login. Can anyone in Knoppix user forum help? (I posted the same question in the Debian forum yesterday but no one responded. I am guessing Debian forum is not as active as Knoppix.)
I also tried startKDE but that also didnt work. BTW I had chosen Desktop Environment while configuring...so I am guessing that all GUI programs are installed on my harddisk. Any guidance to this complete idiot at this time will be appreciated. How come Debian cannot automatically take me to the GUI interface on booting like Knoppix? I must be doing something wrong. I have spent considerable amount of time on this and dont want to give up. If someone can tell me what I am missing, I will be grateful.
No idea what commands to use or which directory to go to in order to find KDE. Not sure whether Debian is recognizing my video card. But if Knoppix can detect all my hardware automatically and since Knoppix is based on Debian, shouldnt Debian also recognize my hardware automatically?
Another thing. While configuring in Apt Configuration screen, I see a message saying "cannot access security updates" because it couldnt access security.debian.org. It also asks me to investigate it later. Is it something because my PPPOEconf is not setup? Does it have something to do with my GUI not working? The purpose I converted to Debian was to mostly web browse. But I cannot do that now without GUI. Can someone please help?
Similar Threads
-
By dhkkong in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-29-2005, 06:40 AM
-
By Virulent in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-24-2004, 05:53 AM
-
By Exit in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-17-2004, 07:26 PM
-
By Sean in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-15-2003, 10:14 AM
-
By burmo in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-01-2003, 04:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368
$22.99

Genuine OEM 63Wh 7FMXV Battery For Dell Latitude 5320 7320 7420 7520 4M1JN TN2GY
$32.99

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511
$28.99

NEW OEM V6W33 Battery For Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3330 3320 Vostro 3515
$22.00

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$45.49

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541
$35.78

Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade
$39.99

OEM Genuine 86Wh 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$35.99

OEM Genuine 62WH 6MT4T Battery For Dell Latitude E5470 E5570 6MT4T 07V69Y 7V69Y
$36.66

Genuine OEM 6GTPY 97Wh Battery for Dell XPS 15 7590, 9550 Series 5XJ28 GPM03 New
$33.50