-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Moved to Debian (but cant proceed from Command prompt)

Originally Posted by
bokaroseani
I then downloaded debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a "Sarge" and burnt the CD 1 (i386-binary) and installed it on a partition of my Thinkpad T20 laptop.
I can now boot in Debian and go to the command prompt but cannot go to GUI by typing "startx" at my normal login (not root login). I cannot startx even from root login.
When I installed Debian Sarge from CD 1, I ended up with a system that booted to the GUI login screen. I have to log in as a user (not root, root insn't allowed to log in here), with an account that I created during the install process. Do you have any insight on what choices you made during the install that may be giving you a different setup than I? Did you elect to install the normal desktop environment (if you installed a server environment, for example, maybe you didn't even get the GUI installed).
One nice thing about having the full CD #1 rather than installing "over the Internet" is that you have all you need right there, you can reinstall without having to pull everything across you internet connection again. I suspect that this is just a plague of riches; Debian gives you many different types of systems that you can install and you may not have chosen exactly what you want. I would suggest reinstalling, and taking careful notes about what choices you made so that if you do have a question you can post your choices and a Debian user may be able to tell you their suggestions.
Similar Threads
-
By dhkkong in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-29-2005, 06:40 AM
-
By Virulent in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-24-2004, 05:53 AM
-
By Exit in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-17-2004, 07:26 PM
-
By Sean in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-15-2003, 10:14 AM
-
By burmo in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-01-2003, 04:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)
$18.99

Cisco CP-8851-3PW-NA-K9 IP Phone MPP Multiplatform VoIP 4 New Open Box
$74.99

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

YEALINK T34W PHONE & 2 MONTHS OF PHONE SERVICE
$65.00