Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: knoppix 3.8.1 (kernel 2.6.11):new custom kernel without ub ?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3

    knoppix 3.8.1 (kernel 2.6.11):new custom kernel without ub ?

    Hi all,
    I've installed knoppix 3.8.1 to hd (debian type) and the most annoying problem
    I have is the very slow USB transfer speed (drops down to 30KB/s or stalls...)

    This bug is mentioned in: http://www.knoppix.net/wikinew/index...tle=Bugs/3.8.1

    Now my questions:
    How do I get rid of it ? Install a new kernel ? Which one should I take ?
    Do I have to compile it myself or is it O.K to take the debian kernels ?

    Thanks for your help,
    Thomas

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    29

    Re: knoppix 3.8.1 (kernel 2.6.11):new custom kernel without

    Quote Originally Posted by theh
    Now my questions:
    How do I get rid of it ? Install a new kernel ? Which one should I take ?
    I also reported the ub problem in these threads,

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20466
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20322

    It seems installing a kernel without ub is the only way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by theh
    Do I have to compile it myself or is it O.K to take the debian kernels ?
    Strictly speaking, Knoppix on hard disk is not a pure Debian system. The Debian kernels never work on my machine, mostly likely due to certain kernel options incompatible with the Knoppix init process. I think you have 2 possible solutions:

    1. Build your own custom kernel without ub by ensuring CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UB=n
    2. Download and install the Kanotix kernel from http://www.kanotix.com/files/kernel/ The Kanotix kernel is more advanced and can run slightly faster (i586 optimized). I installed it to my Knoppix-4.0.2 without trouble, and indeed, far more stable than the original kernel. Of course, use it at your own risks!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    Thanks,
    I might try to use the Kanotix kernel first...

    (In retrospect, I should have maybe started with Kanotix anyway...
    But I only learned later on that there was a more "HD install friendly"
    live distro... Now I'm reluctant to install a new version, because knoppix
    is after some work at least working...)

    I found something in the Remastering section of this forum about
    building a custom kernel from source, but I'm not quite sure how
    far this process applies to a HD install.
    The questions about compiling a custom kernel in the HD install forum
    seem somehow all to be unanswered...
    Does anybody know where to find a guide to building a custom knoppix
    kernel for a HD install ?
    Thanks,
    Thomas

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    29
    Building a custom kernel for a Knoppix HD install is same procedure as building a kernel in Debian.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    Building a custom kernel for a Knoppix HD install is same procedure as building a kernel in Debian.
    Well, if this is true then the debian kernels should work normally ?

    Strictly speaking, Knoppix on hard disk is not a pure Debian system. The Debian kernels never work on my machine, mostly likely due to certain kernel options incompatible with the Knoppix init process.
    Anyway, it will probably be some time before I really dare to change it.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    29
    Well, if this is true then the debian kernels should work normally ?
    Well, you may try and see if the Debian works for you. Maybe it just not work on my machine?

    Anyway, it will probably be some time before I really dare to change it.
    Install and remove kernel in Debian or Knoppix is very easy. Install a new kernel will not remove your working kernel from your system. It just install a new kernel along side with your current system. There is nothing to be afraid of. If the newly installed kernel does not work, you may just restart your computer with the working kernel and then remove the newly installed one.

Similar Threads

  1. Custom Kernel 2.6.23 - Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, v5.1
    By Amo666 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 10:31 AM
  2. kernel panic with custom kernel
    By cYmen in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2003, 10:17 AM
  3. Building custom kernel under KNOPPIX and package it ?
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:54 PM
  4. custom kernel / ash-knoppix
    By jtally in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 05:15 PM
  5. New howto : Custom Knoppix Kernel
    By eadz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2003, 01:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99