Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Memory problem on reboot

  1. #1
    Dickey Peterson
    Guest

    Memory problem on reboot

    I have a Dell 4550 and normally run Win XP. When I boot to the Knoppix CD I have no problems. However, after shuting down and removing the CD, my computer won't boot. The problem is that during the reboot/self-diagnostic phase, the computer hangs when checking the memory (a single 512 Mb DIMM). To fix the problem I remove and reinsert. Voila. This has happened both times I booted to the Knoppix CD.

    Am I doing something wrong? How can I keep this from happening?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I have a similar problem. After doing knx-hdinstall to an old Gateway PII266 with only 32MB RAM (I added a 256MB linux swap partition), the machine won't cold boot. Either I have to hit the power button again or the screen comes up with "no operating system found." If I then do a warm boot (CTRL/ALT/DEL) it will boot properly to the dual boot screen. What can I do about this?

    BTW, on the dual boot screen, is there a way to increase the delay time before it boots itself? I have a BIOS password set so my son can't get on any of my PCs when I'm not looking. He'd live on the net if I let him. Anyway, by the time I enter the BIOS password, the dual boot count-down is down to 1 or 2 seconds at most. I can deal with it, but the other inhabitants of this house hold cannot....

  3. #3
    darose
    Guest

    Re: Memory problem on reboot

    EXACT same problem here: also a Dell 4550 and Win XP; screen boots to black (no BIOS) after I use Knoppix. Diagnostic lights in back are indicating a memory problem ... I think. (Hard to read those things.)

    Am able to solve the problem by opening the PC case and then closing it up again. Maybe that causes the BIOS to re-examine the system fresh again, and kicks it out of whatever "bad memory" state it's in. Your guess is as good as mine.

    Would love to know a fix for this.


    DR

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Memory problem on reboot

    --Check for a BIOS upgrade for your motherboard. Just an idea...

    Quote Originally Posted by darose
    EXACT same problem here: also a Dell 4550 and Win XP; screen boots to black (no BIOS) after I use Knoppix. Diagnostic lights in back are indicating a memory problem ... I think. (Hard to read those things.)

    Am able to solve the problem by opening the PC case and then closing it up again. Maybe that causes the BIOS to re-examine the system fresh again, and kicks it out of whatever "bad memory" state it's in. Your guess is as good as mine.

    Would love to know a fix for this.


    DR

Similar Threads

  1. Boot up/memory problem (new to Linux)
    By benedict1000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 11:47 AM
  2. Memory problem when rebooting after using Knoppix on Dell
    By pmaccabe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 12:42 AM
  3. Problem using USB memory stick
    By hgpuke in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 10:42 PM
  4. custom knoppix eject on poweroff/reboot problem
    By bartavelle in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-27-2003, 05:10 PM
  5. 1 GB memory boot ISO image run entirely from memory?
    By rrolsbe in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 09:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



74Y6511 IBM 3Gb 2 Port PCI-E x8 SAS RAID Adapter 74Y6512 44V4199 W/ 1x Battery picture

74Y6511 IBM 3Gb 2 Port PCI-E x8 SAS RAID Adapter 74Y6512 44V4199 W/ 1x Battery

$99.99



OWC Express 4M2 USB4 40Gb/s 4-Slot NVMe M.2 SSD RAID Enclosure w/ Cable picture

OWC Express 4M2 USB4 40Gb/s 4-Slot NVMe M.2 SSD RAID Enclosure w/ Cable

$125.00



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00