Just as a comment, I have compiled puppy fine on my kanotix installation (knoppix derivative) and use it with my toppy 5000 pvr fine.
I am trying to compile puppy to talk to my Topffield PVR. It has a USB link and Topfield only supply Mac and Win software. Someone has got a *nix program called puppy working. (Not to be confused with linux-puppy)
On compiling it on Knoppic 3.8 I get
>In file included from /usr/include/linux/usb.h:4,
> from usb_io.h:33,
> from puppy.c:48:
>/usr/include/linux/mod_devicetable.h:21: error: Fehler beim Parsen before "kernel_ulong_t"
>/usr/include/linux/mod_devicetable.h:36: error: Fehler beim Parsen before "kernel_ulong_t"
Repeated several times for other lines in the same header file.
I asked the puppy admin and he replied:
This sounds like a problem with the system headers on your distro. At a
guess, you have a mixture of kernel 2.4 and 2.6 headers.
In the case of /usr/include/linux/mod_devicetable.h, __KERNEL__ should
NOT be defined on a 2.6 system and the inclusion of the file should do
nothing.
Currently I am downloading 4.0.2 to see if it makes any difference, slightly worried re the USB problem posted elsewhere, but would be grateful for any pointers.
TIA
Just as a comment, I have compiled puppy fine on my kanotix installation (knoppix derivative) and use it with my toppy 5000 pvr fine.
Well 4.0.2 throws exactly the same errors.

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00
Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00
EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC
$115.00