Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Problems with chroot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2

    Problems with chroot

    Hello!

    I tried to remaster Knoppix as described here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

    I have a problem with point 13:
    Now you can "chroot" into the copied KNOPPIX: chroot /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX

    [root@noname sda6]# chroot /mnt/sda6/knx/source/KNOPPIX
    chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

    What's wrong??

    Thanks for your answers!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    126
    At a guess you need a space between /mnt/sda6 and /knx/source/KNOPPIX
    i.e.
    chroot /mnt/sda6 /knx/source/KNOPPIX
    Regards,
    Mark

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2
    the problem is solved

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1
    I have the same problem. Could anyone help me out?

    root@0[hda4] # chroot /mnt/hda4 /knx/source/KNOPPIX
    chroot: cannot run command `/knx/source/KNOPPIX': Permission denied

    How can I solve this problem?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Broerz
    I have the same problem. Could anyone help me out?

    root@0[hda4] # chroot /mnt/hda4 /knx/source/KNOPPIX
    chroot: cannot run command `/knx/source/KNOPPIX': Permission denied

    How can I solve this problem?
    I could be totally wrong, but that requirement for a space is not right?? Or at least to me does not make sense, granted I don't have a *nix terminal at hand to test it out.

    If you run "chroot /mnt/hda4/knx/source/KNOPPIX" that should place you in the chrooted environment, by default the chroot command will run /bin/bash relative to the chroot path, that is for the command to be successful the file /mnt/hda4/knx/source/KNOPPIX/bin/bash must be present.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    89

    Re: Problems with chroot

    Quote Originally Posted by MoDri
    Hello!

    I tried to remaster Knoppix as described here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

    I have a problem with point 13:
    Now you can "chroot" into the copied KNOPPIX: chroot /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX

    [root@noname sda6]# chroot /mnt/sda6/knx/source/KNOPPIX
    chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

    What's wrong??

    Thanks for your answers!
    First, you _don't_ need the space mentioned above - the way you have it typed above is correct. It looks to me like you don't have the KPX source copied correctly. In your usual environment, can you find the file /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/bin/bash ? The message above suggests that it does not exist, which would mean some problem occured when you were copying the source.

    (edit)
    Ah, sorry, I just noticed that the problem is solved. IIABDFI

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    126
    Hi all,
    It seems that my guess about a space being missed out was wrong and I apologise for this. Thanks to mcreel and firnsy for pointing this out.
    It might have been helpful to others, including me, if MoDri could have taken the time to explain how he solved his problem rather than just write
    "the problem is solved" which, in the context of the single reply he received to his original posting, could easily be construed to mean the space was required.
    Regards,
    Mark

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3

    chroot issue when remastering Knoppix 4

    Hi, I'm having the same issue and have tried the suggestions mentioned above, unfortnately i get the same error messages. I'm working via a HD install of knoppix 4 (via DVD) but am trying to remaster a CD version of it. I have successfully managed to remaster Knoppix 3 versions in the past, so I'm a bit stumped as to my problems now. I was wondering if there was an issue with the KNOPPIX executable, but I'm not convinced by that as I can run KNOPPIX just fine from the CD.

    Thanks in advance

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3
    I think my issue is caused by the fact that I was trying to copy files when it wasn't uncompressed. I will update the post when I am sure.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3
    yep, feel a bit silly now. Basically the instructions on the site assume that you have booted from the live cd. When i have been building new customisations in the past, i had been working on an already expanded Knoppix file structure - and i forgot!

Similar Threads

  1. The dreaded chroot !
    By exxfile in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 05:35 PM
  2. Problems with the chroot command
    By rklewis2 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-12-2006, 02:34 AM
  3. chroot help
    By gursharnsingh in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 09:38 PM
  4. Kde in chroot and OOo 1.1 installation
    By vi.tan.gr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-29-2003, 07:53 AM
  5. To chroot or not to chroot
    By sminotti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00



Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280  SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC picture

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC

$34.99