Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Booting a USB drive when the BIOS doesn't support it

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120

    Booting a USB drive when the BIOS doesn't support it

    Hi,

    I'm going to be moving to a new city soon, which means I'll be without my computer for a few weeks. To get around that, I had the bright idea of ripping out my hard drive and putting it in a USB enclosure. Then I'd be able to use any computer anywhere - I'd just stick a boot CD in the CD drive and my USB enclosure in a USB socket, and tell the kernel to mount the USB drive with something like kernel root=/dev/sda1. It'd boot up my system with my Gnome layout and my home directory and so on, just as if it was my real desktop. Sounds good in theory.

    I thought I'd try this with Knoppix as the boot CD, but it doesn't work. That is, there doesn't seem to be any boot option you can pass to Knoppix to tell it that after it's autodetected all the USB hardware, it should then mount a particular device as root and carry on from there, rather than mounting the compressed image on the CD. I remember that this used to be a really handy feature on the old Debian installation floppies, that I used it all the time to boot my system when I accidentally deleted the kernel, so I'm surprised it isn't available in Knoppix.

    I should also mention that my desktop computer is fairly old and the BIOS can't boot directly from USB. I expect many other computers I may want to try this with will be in the same position, so I want to avoid any solution that requires BIOS USB booting.

    Am I right that this isn't possible with Knoppix? If I'm wrong, I'd appreciate it if someone told me how it's done. Alternatively, if anyone knows of another live CD that allows this kind of thing, that'd be good too.

    Thanks,
    Matthew Exon

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    you just create a persistent home for knoppix then you can have that on your USB drive, and as most things are saved in /home/username ...
    read some about persistent home, klik and unionFs on the documentation link at top of page.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120
    But I don't want persistent Knoppix. I want my own system, the one I'm using now, the one on my hard drive. I just want to plug that hard drive into the USB port and use a Knoppix CD only to boot it. Let me know if I've misunderstood your point...

    Matthew Exon

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    Actually, you don't really need Knoppix for that. Compile a new kernel with the USB stuff, make a syslinux boot floppy with that kernel, and burn the floppy image to a CDR. (Don't forget to chmod +x the scripts if you use them.)

    ' mkdosfs /dev/fd0 ' == format floppy
    ' syslinux /dev/fd0 ' == Add bootsector

    ( Also, mount floppy and cp kernel to it as destination filename=="krnl"; edit syslinux.cfg )

    Sample: BEGIN syslinux.cfg
    Code:
    default knoppix
    #prompt 1
    #timeout 50
    # kernel krnl269 - changed for mvkernel
    label knoppix
      kernel krnl
      append root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=ext apm=power-off nomce lang=us
    ' umount /dev/fd0 '
    ' dd if=/dev/fd0 of=eltorito.img '

    BEGIN mkbootcdrom
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    
    # Make a bootable Linux utility cdrom
    
    /bin/ls -al boot
    echo Making bootable CDROM from ELTORITO.IMG ... PK:
    #read
    
    #mkisofs -r -f -U -v -o - * \
    # -c is an OUTPUT file
    time \
      mkisofs -b eltorito.img -c boot/boot.catalog \
        -d -D -f -l -J -N -r -T -v \
        -log-file ~/bootcd.errlog \
        eltorito.img \
      | cdrecord -v fs=5120k -eject -tao speed=$CDR_SPEED -data -
    ALSO - Don't forget to edit your /etc/fstab, since everything will be on sda now.

    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonon
    But I don't want persistent Knoppix. I want my own system, the one I'm using now, the one on my hard drive. I just want to plug that hard drive into the USB port and use a Knoppix CD only to boot it. Let me know if I've misunderstood your point...

    Matthew Exon

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120
    Yeesh, if it's gonna be that complicated, I won't bother. It'd be simpler just to install my hard drive in any computer I find - I'll take a screwdriver instead. Compiling my own kernel? That's a little 90s isn't it?

    By the way I found that RIP does what I used to do with my Debian recovery disks - when it gets to GRUB, delete the initrd line and change the linux line to root=<whatever>, and it'll boot whichever partition you want with RIP's kernel. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work with USB devices. It'd be handy if something similar was possible with Knoppix.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    > Compiling my own kernel? That's a little 90s isn't it?

    --Not if you want an optimized system, it isn't. I routinely compile kernels for almost every box I install. It cuts down on wasted modules that you'll never use, as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonon
    Yeesh, if it's gonna be that complicated, I won't bother. It'd be simpler just to install my hard drive in any computer I find - I'll take a screwdriver instead. Compiling my own kernel? That's a little 90s isn't it?

    By the way I found that RIP does what I used to do with my Debian recovery disks - when it gets to GRUB, delete the initrd line and change the linux line to root=<whatever>, and it'll boot whichever partition you want with RIP's kernel. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work with USB devices. It'd be handy if something similar was possible with Knoppix.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    30

    PUppy linux again...

    I don't know if there is any benefit for other distros, but puppy linux, on its www.goosee...... url claims they have a floppy iso which includes USB drivers, which will boot and boot off non-bootable USB including flash drives.

    I am not sure if sys or autoexec.bat files can be modified for other distros or not. I wish to look into it, but do not have a floppy right now. It would sure be worth looking into.

Similar Threads

  1. Booting from USB without BIOS support (using CD?)
    By quadphonic in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-04-2010, 04:02 PM
  2. Booting through EFI (MacBook Pro, not BIOS)
    By fbarrett in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2007, 10:51 PM
  3. How do you check if BIOS allows booting from a CD-ROM?
    By Wikipedea in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 06:30 PM
  4. BIOS Doesnt Support Boot From CD
    By Duddled in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 02:29 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$259.00



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$221.00