Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Latitude L400 booting problem from HD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2

    Latitude L400 booting problem from HD

    Hi all,
    My little 700 MHz laptop runs great KNOPPIX booting from CD so I'm planning to trash Windows 2000.

    Unfortunatly the CD is an external device. So I am tring to install KNOPPIX on its 10Gb hard drive.

    The installation looks working fine using "sodo knoppix-installer" however it does not boot.
    As I turn on the machine the boot stops with this error:

    kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,2)

    Any tip?

    Thank you
    Andrea

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaN
    So I am tring to install KNOPPIX on its 10Gb hard drive
    One thought, Knoppix is basically intended as a "Live" disk distro. It is really not intended to be used as a HDD installed version, although many people do this. There are very mixed results witha HDD install. If you are dead set on installing Knoppix to HDD, you also have a Laptop, which are usually a little more troublesome with Knoppix or Linux in general. Have you looked at alternative distros? Kanotix might be a better choice, Debian works well also, and Suse has a new version that seems rather decent, although it has a different feel than Knoppix or Debian. Fedora Core is another good one. Look at these links for information: www.linux.org and www.distrowatch.com

    I am not sure what this error message, that you have encountered, means. I saw something liket his when there was an incorrect reference in Lilo, but do not remember what the fix was. The fix involved editing a few lines in Lilo and I think it had to do with the HDD references. Another one involved Grub and I'm not sure what the fix was there either. Sorry I can't be of more help with this. I don't play with Knoppix HDD installs and don't have a lot of experience there. Maybe someone with a little more expertise can help you with a solution.

    Good Luck!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2
    Hi,
    Looks like the problem is related to 4.0 because using the same steps using 3.9 I sucessfully instaled it on my Laptop.

    I will give a shot using Kanotix as you suggested.

    I tryed Debian but I had to many issue with the packaging selection and installation.

    Thanks again
    Andrea

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-04-2008, 03:18 AM
  2. Dell Latitude D610 video problem solved
    By jork in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 05:06 AM
  3. Need help with Latitude D510
    By NitroCrzy in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2006, 05:48 PM
  4. Knoppix 4.0, Dell Latitude, problem with Xircom RealPort
    By SiKing in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 04:01 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 10:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$259.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00



Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250

$25.99