-
Can't Install To HD, Because Drive Is Read-Only.
Hello. This is my first time here visiting the forum, and I must say I really like what I've seen trying out with the Live Knoppix cd.
However I have a small problem. I am using VMWare to instal knoppix to the "hard drive", because I'm afraid I will mess up my real hard drive, now onto the problem.
Here are the steps I take, I followed the flash tutorial made by IronGeek to get to the point I'm having the problem in. I will list step-by-step instructions on what I've accomplished so far.
1. Click the Knoppix penguin, then open up a root shell.
2. Type in knoppix-installer press enter.
3. Click ok on first few dialog boxes that appear on screen.
4. QTParted starts up, I right click on my Windows partition (I have Windows 98 on my virtual machine), and choose delete.
5. Right click on free partition and choose Create.
6. When dialog box appears I make a Swap-partition with 128 mb of ram, I really have 448 mb of ram, but the virtual machine handles up to 128.
7. Right click on partition that I just created and choose create again.
8. Now I set the root partition by typing in a backslash in the label input box.
9. I go to file > commit, then file > quit.
10. Knoppix-installer gives me the same screen as in step number 3 before i did the whole QTParted process, saying it needs a swap partition and primary partition.
Then I notice something on the details area that it says the drive is in "readonly" state, can I get access to the drive by doing something special, or can I not get access to the drive?
I appreciate anyone who responds in advance 
BTW I am new to Linux, and this is my first distribution that I tried out.
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
I tried the nofstab noswap trick, I still get brought back to that first screen, maybe I'm doing something wrong?
-
just tried it myself....
What I had was the 1 HD with 2 partitions 1 for swap and 1 for the OS. THere was currently NO OS installed
First time I ran the knoppix installer I got a siilar error... I was missing something that was preventing knoppix installer from working. I then ran it again with the following options
IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix_installer
so far so good. Installer started and its happily formatting my partition as reiserfs. THis was farther thatn I got the first time.
-
Hey thanks for the response UnderScore, and opbz. I tried UnderScores' method first, it helped some but it didn' work, then I tried your method about the IGNORE_CHECK=1. I finally got it installed and it is working just fine.
Thanks again for your help you guys
Similar Threads
-
By AndersonSS in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-09-2004, 06:35 PM
-
By naterd00d in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-13-2004, 09:09 PM
-
By Keilaron in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-23-2004, 04:56 AM
-
By echelon in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 08:50 PM
-
By powertc_g4 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-22-2003, 04:22 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01