-
Can't Install To HD, Because Drive Is Read-Only.
Hello. This is my first time here visiting the forum, and I must say I really like what I've seen trying out with the Live Knoppix cd.
However I have a small problem. I am using VMWare to instal knoppix to the "hard drive", because I'm afraid I will mess up my real hard drive, now onto the problem.
Here are the steps I take, I followed the flash tutorial made by IronGeek to get to the point I'm having the problem in. I will list step-by-step instructions on what I've accomplished so far.
1. Click the Knoppix penguin, then open up a root shell.
2. Type in knoppix-installer press enter.
3. Click ok on first few dialog boxes that appear on screen.
4. QTParted starts up, I right click on my Windows partition (I have Windows 98 on my virtual machine), and choose delete.
5. Right click on free partition and choose Create.
6. When dialog box appears I make a Swap-partition with 128 mb of ram, I really have 448 mb of ram, but the virtual machine handles up to 128.
7. Right click on partition that I just created and choose create again.
8. Now I set the root partition by typing in a backslash in the label input box.
9. I go to file > commit, then file > quit.
10. Knoppix-installer gives me the same screen as in step number 3 before i did the whole QTParted process, saying it needs a swap partition and primary partition.
Then I notice something on the details area that it says the drive is in "readonly" state, can I get access to the drive by doing something special, or can I not get access to the drive?
I appreciate anyone who responds in advance 
BTW I am new to Linux, and this is my first distribution that I tried out.
Similar Threads
-
By AndersonSS in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-09-2004, 06:35 PM
-
By naterd00d in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-13-2004, 09:09 PM
-
By Keilaron in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-23-2004, 04:56 AM
-
By echelon in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 08:50 PM
-
By powertc_g4 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-22-2003, 04:22 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121
$69.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$139.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73

fanxiang S660 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2280 Internal SSD w/ Heatsink Gray
$120.00