Hi!
Just noticed the XP security updates influence on NICs on this board!
Happens I just started Linux on dual boot with XP and Linux on on system and the same on a second machine withWin2k and Linux
(Linux means Knoppix 3.3 to be clear)
Had the same problem on BOTH machines:
The NIC's eeprom got mistreated supposedly by XP and Win2K:
Runs perfectly under XP/2K but Linux refuses to complete a DHCP.
Running mii-tool -r and netcardconfig temporarily works on the 2K machine (NOT on the XP machine!), but on run withWindows and its over again!

I have been looking all over the net to find links but no luck sofar!
Can NOT find another trick to get it running more comfortable....

The discussion I mentioned above was dated about a year ago.

I wonder if some clever human being found a solution for this problem in the mean time! (Either in the kernel of Linux or by means of a clever startuptool...whatever!)

(No need to say that I even had the brutality to ask BG in Redmond but
found nothing...)

Any tip???

Regards

Niels