-
Some test results using XP Home/XP Pro, desktop vs laptop
Hi folks,
Just wanted to chime in on this discussion as I find it very interesting, since I have been so impressed with Knoppix's ability to just work.
I have a desktop system running XP Home, and have access to a client's laptop running XP Pro. I ran Windows Update on both systems to get completely up to date, then put in both Knoppix 3.3 and the BitDefender Knoppix 3.4 CD. The desktop system has no problem with either CD in accessing the network, but the laptop fails with both CD's. An ifconfig reveals only the loopback address. I have not yet, and have no immediate plans to, install to HD.
Since I've heard plenty about Linux's shortcomings as far as laptops are concerned, and since I also don't know the make of the network card in the laptop (it's an IBM G40 2384-EHU, if that means anything to anyone
), I don't know if this sheds any light on the subject. But I can confirm that the CD works fine on the desktop with XP Home installed.
Charlie T.
Similar Threads
-
By jimmyjrosu in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-12-2005, 08:26 PM
-
By silence in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-14-2004, 08:40 PM
-
By Lame_Duck in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:19 PM
-
By eadz in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-30-2003, 09:55 AM
-
By drglass67 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-23-2003, 04:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord
$49.99

HP ProCurve J9265A 6600-24XG 10GBE Layer3 Gigabit Switch w/ 2 x PSU
$180.20