Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Installing programs (the easy and traditional way)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5

    Installing programs (the easy and traditional way)

    Hi. I am a newbie to Linux, and I was wondering what is the proper "make" command to install a program from the shell?

    Everytime I try and make the install for it, I do the make command first, but then it gives me an error saying it can't be initialized, then whenever I try to make the install I get a message saying "Nothing to be done for Install".

    Am I missing something on why I can't get any program installed after extracting the files from the tar.gz file?

    Thanks for the help to anyone who responds in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Compiling & installing programs from source is usually done with the commands:
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5
    Thank you for the response I now know how to install programs, allthough I do it a different way, I use Synaptic wich lets me install any program I like, and it's easy to do too.

    Thanks again for your help.

Similar Threads

  1. Installing New Programs
    By TommyHill in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-10-2007, 02:02 AM
  2. Installing ypops (YahooPOPS) - Made easy.
    By onemyndseye in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-19-2006, 11:29 AM
  3. Installing programs....Help
    By MinoX in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 11:14 PM
  4. Help Installing Programs
    By Garibaldi in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 12:32 AM
  5. Installing Programs Help.
    By Prons in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 09:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01