when you copy the files from the knoppix compressed FS, make sure you are root, and make sure you use the cp flag -p
Hi,
First off I want to say I love Knoppix. I'm a NetAdmin and it has saved me a few times. I have incorporated it into my disaster recovery plan.
I want to remaster it to be able to add and remove some programs specific to my needs.
I have been successful in pairing down Knoppix but I haven't been able to get my new iso to boot.
I am using an existing Linux (RedHat 7.3) system that has EXT3 partitions.
Here is the process I used to remaster. Maybe someone can tell me what I did wrong:
- I started using the KnoppixRemasteringHowTo from www.knoppix.net.
- I am able to get to point of chroot to do my customizations
- The customizing:
run apt-get update
run apt-get install aptitude
run aptitude to remove programs - I didn't add any at this point
once my selections are made I use the download option to do it's thing
I notice that sysinit seems to get upgraded as does LILO
The LILO part of the upgrade asks if I want to make new configs - I say no
- after aptitude does it's thing I continue with the RemasterFAQ
- I am able to make the iso with no problem
The problem now is it won't boot.
I get the message that it wants the root password to enter the maintenance mode. This happens during the AutoMount part of the boot up. (I can post the exact message - it's quite long) It seems like it fails trying to fsck an EXT2 partition.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Once I get my "NetAdmin" version of Knoppix working I will gladly upload it for everyone to get.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Sheldon
when you copy the files from the knoppix compressed FS, make sure you are root, and make sure you use the cp flag -p
Hi SillyFly,
Thanks for the info. I have tried that...I did make sure I was root and I used the command:
cp -Rp /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/hda4/knx/source/KNOPPIX
/mnt/hda4 was my remastering partition. I also used the -R option to make sure and directories and subdirectories were also copied.
Is there anything else that I may have missed?
Thanks
Sheldon
Sorry, I should have mentioned that it did not work in my last post. I get the same results.
hmm....
maybe try manualy fsck'ing that partiotion?
anyway, posting the message you get may give more clues as to what went wrong....

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver
$1500.00
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New
$50.00
Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch
$39.99
CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188
$24.94
Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage UNCLAIMED Lot of 10
$22000.00
Cisco C9300L-STACK-KIT V02 Stack
$190.00
Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00
2 PACK Cisco AIR-AP2802I-B-K9 Aironet 2802 Series Dual Band Access Point
$19.85
Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New
$399.99