Hi I know this is an issue across multiple linux distributions at the moment. Intel's onboard HDA chips in relation to the SigmaTel Audio codecs and the like mainly. In Knoppix4.0.2 the sound is detected but any mixing software only displays a main volume slider for the output and no other sliders. I have no sound coming though even though sound applcations work fine, aRts doesn't complain and Audacity loads and saves files no problem.
I have found through vast searching that the 2.6.16 Kernel versions address the issue of mute sound with the STAC9223 chipsets and ALSA 1.0.9b is needed to make all this work properly, many people have had success in recompiling and downloading patches and so forth, but I simply haven't the time to hack. Unfortunatly Knoppix4.0.2 is just slightly off with version numbers and I suspect this is the reason why the sound on my new Dell 5150c is almost there but not quite.
Knoppix has been the most succesful distro for my red hot new box, Kubuntu has issues with my ATI PCI Express video card and Knottix screws up booting my SATA drive, so my only question is will a Knoppix 4.0.3 release appear with the relevant version numbers of ALSA and the Kernel for my spiffy Intel HDA Sigmatel sound card beast?
Regards
Lee

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened
$195.00
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
$65.00
TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$14.86
5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99
NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99