-
Senior Member
registered user
The KNOPPIX dvd
Can someone tell me what the difference is (besides the SIZE) of the KNOPPIX live cd and the DVD. My wife just got an NEW computer with a dvd burner, and I am wanting to see what the dvd is all about. I have a version of KNOPPIX on a cd, but want to see what the dvd will do. Thanks.....
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
bob58
Can someone tell me what the difference is (besides the SIZE) of the KNOPPIX live cd and the DVD
There is a LOT more STUFF on the DVD!
Look at the following links to see the contents:
DVD: ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/packages-dvd.txt
CD: ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/packages.txt
I believe that these are pretty current and accurate, although I have not verified any of it. I will take Klaus Knopper's word for it.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Knoppix dvd information
Wow...I looked at that HUGE list of applications in there! I am still wondering about dvd's. I have never BURNED a dvd but my wife has a dvd burner on her new computer. So if I download the Knoppix dvd file, burn it to a dvd disk, I will be able to boot off that dvd just like one of the Knoppix cd's I have? So you can get a dvd's worth (in size) of programs from a 700MB .iso file? Thats pretty amazing. OK then I will download the dvd .iso and burn it and check it out.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Knoppix dvd information

Originally Posted by
bob58
So you can get a dvd's worth (in size) of programs from a 700MB .iso file? Thats pretty amazing.
Not quite. You get all the programs that you normally get in a Knoppix CD from a 700 meg iso file, about 2 gigs worth (thanks to the compression used to fit them on the ISO). You get all of those extra programs with the DVD because the ISO for the DVD is larger than the 700 meg ISO for the CD. It's currently a bit over 3 gigs, with more room to grow. Where did you get the idea that the DVD ISO was no larger than the CD ISO? That hardly makes any sense.
If you don't already, now would be a very good time to learn to use BitTorrent.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.
$629.99

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852
$559.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$200.00

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00

IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD
$87.96

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99