Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: The KNOPPIX dvd

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    The KNOPPIX dvd

    Can someone tell me what the difference is (besides the SIZE) of the KNOPPIX live cd and the DVD. My wife just got an NEW computer with a dvd burner, and I am wanting to see what the dvd is all about. I have a version of KNOPPIX on a cd, but want to see what the dvd will do. Thanks.....

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by bob58
    Can someone tell me what the difference is (besides the SIZE) of the KNOPPIX live cd and the DVD
    There is a LOT more STUFF on the DVD!

    Look at the following links to see the contents:

    DVD: ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/packages-dvd.txt

    CD: ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/packages.txt

    I believe that these are pretty current and accurate, although I have not verified any of it. I will take Klaus Knopper's word for it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    Knoppix dvd information

    Wow...I looked at that HUGE list of applications in there! I am still wondering about dvd's. I have never BURNED a dvd but my wife has a dvd burner on her new computer. So if I download the Knoppix dvd file, burn it to a dvd disk, I will be able to boot off that dvd just like one of the Knoppix cd's I have? So you can get a dvd's worth (in size) of programs from a 700MB .iso file? Thats pretty amazing. OK then I will download the dvd .iso and burn it and check it out.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix dvd information

    Quote Originally Posted by bob58
    So you can get a dvd's worth (in size) of programs from a 700MB .iso file? Thats pretty amazing.
    Not quite. You get all the programs that you normally get in a Knoppix CD from a 700 meg iso file, about 2 gigs worth (thanks to the compression used to fit them on the ISO). You get all of those extra programs with the DVD because the ISO for the DVD is larger than the 700 meg ISO for the CD. It's currently a bit over 3 gigs, with more room to grow. Where did you get the idea that the DVD ISO was no larger than the CD ISO? That hardly makes any sense.

    If you don't already, now would be a very good time to learn to use BitTorrent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16

$169.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$30.00



Kingston 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM KSM26ED8/16ME PC4-21300 288pin picture

Kingston 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM KSM26ED8/16ME PC4-21300 288pin

$225.00



Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module

$29.25



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980 picture

16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980

$39.99