Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: The KNOPPIX dvd

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    The KNOPPIX dvd

    Can someone tell me what the difference is (besides the SIZE) of the KNOPPIX live cd and the DVD. My wife just got an NEW computer with a dvd burner, and I am wanting to see what the dvd is all about. I have a version of KNOPPIX on a cd, but want to see what the dvd will do. Thanks.....

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by bob58
    Can someone tell me what the difference is (besides the SIZE) of the KNOPPIX live cd and the DVD
    There is a LOT more STUFF on the DVD!

    Look at the following links to see the contents:

    DVD: ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/packages-dvd.txt

    CD: ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/packages.txt

    I believe that these are pretty current and accurate, although I have not verified any of it. I will take Klaus Knopper's word for it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    Knoppix dvd information

    Wow...I looked at that HUGE list of applications in there! I am still wondering about dvd's. I have never BURNED a dvd but my wife has a dvd burner on her new computer. So if I download the Knoppix dvd file, burn it to a dvd disk, I will be able to boot off that dvd just like one of the Knoppix cd's I have? So you can get a dvd's worth (in size) of programs from a 700MB .iso file? Thats pretty amazing. OK then I will download the dvd .iso and burn it and check it out.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix dvd information

    Quote Originally Posted by bob58
    So you can get a dvd's worth (in size) of programs from a 700MB .iso file? Thats pretty amazing.
    Not quite. You get all the programs that you normally get in a Knoppix CD from a 700 meg iso file, about 2 gigs worth (thanks to the compression used to fit them on the ISO). You get all of those extra programs with the DVD because the ISO for the DVD is larger than the 700 meg ISO for the CD. It's currently a bit over 3 gigs, with more room to grow. Where did you get the idea that the DVD ISO was no larger than the CD ISO? That hardly makes any sense.

    If you don't already, now would be a very good time to learn to use BitTorrent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$245.00



MITS Altair Computer Notes June 1976 picture

MITS Altair Computer Notes June 1976

$90.00



MITS Altair Computer Notes January/February 1977  picture

MITS Altair Computer Notes January/February 1977

$100.00



Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$225.00



MITS Altair Computer Notes July 1976 picture

MITS Altair Computer Notes July 1976

$100.00



MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



MITS Altair Computer Notes May 1976 picture

MITS Altair Computer Notes May 1976

$140.00



MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer picture

MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer

$2390.00



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



Intel 4004 IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair picture

Intel 4004 IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair

$48.00