So you installed Knoppix 4.0 on your HD ?
After apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, Knoppix4.0 hangs when I try to access /mnt/hdc3.
Also the led of the floppy lights up.
I read somewhere that it has to do with automount. But isn't that a bug?
Any idea why my HD light is alway flickering?
Something amiss with the latest upgrade?
So you installed Knoppix 4.0 on your HD ?
Yep.
' killall automount ' and try it again... You may also have to remove the link from /etc/rc5.d or /etc/rcS.d, wherever it's starting up from.
--I've never liked automount. There's a " *nix " way to mount things, and automount gets in the way for power users and direct-access to the devices.
Originally Posted by markleong
More information:-
Hdc seems to be ok as I can mount and work with it from Knoppix4.0 CD.
My HD led flickers in KDE. When using xfce4, the led does not flicker.
"killall automount" allows me to mount /mnt/hdc3 and navigate to it using console. But once I start a file manager (eg emelfm, mc), the system hangs.
I cannot seem to find anything related to automount (or is it S35mountall in rcS.d?).
Though of reinstalling but what if apt-get upgrade produces the same result?
Help appreciated.
BTW, I have another similar unit with Knoppix 4.0 but did not apt-get upgrade recently. This unit seems to be ok.
o Reboot
o before killing automount, post results of:
' ps ax |grep mount ' == If that shows nothing, post results of ' ps ax '
Originally Posted by markleong
ps ax | grep mount produced the following:-
3828 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/sbin/automount --pid-file=/var/run/autofs/_mnt_auto.pid --timeout=2 /mnt/auto program /etc/automount.sh
Ok, that's the process ID of what needs to be killed. Just make sure it's gone before doing anything with hdc.
I don't understand why the system is hanging though. Could it be only X? Have you tried doing all this from a text console?
Originally Posted by markleong
Killing automount allowed me to mount hdc3 from console. However when I tried to navigate, the system hung, even from a console.
Has anyone apt-get upgrade lately and experiencing the same problem? Or upgraded but without problems.
What is interest to note is that I do not face any problems when working with the Knoppix CD - only when using the HD.

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99
Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA
$325.00
Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00
AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00
Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00
AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99
AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99
Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99
DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$179.99