Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: IBM R51 - Windows crashed - booting w/ linux - save files?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1

    IBM R51 - Windows crashed - booting w/ linux - save files?

    New Linux user here.

    I have an IBM R51 laptop running Windows XP. It crashed w/ an "unmountable boot volume" screen. A friend of mine gave me a Knoppix Linux 3.2 CD to boot with. My machine booted wonderfully and I can see all of my files. When I try to copy and/or move my files to my Seagate backup drive, I get the message "Could not write to /name of drive/ name of file."

    I've changed the read/write/execute permissions for my hard drive and Seagate drive. Note sure how to proceed.

    Thoughts?

    thx.
    kelly

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    58
    Good Day eyeaspire ,
    I've recovered a couple of HD's from horrid crashes and since I have a network available I just copy the data to the net drive than restore it to the new drive. Your problem however seems to be a NTFS write problem. I haven't tried the new version but my experience with Knoppix earlier versions is that they don't work as well in moving data in NTFS systems. Try formatting the seagate as a vfat drive, write the data to the seagate then convert the drive to ntfs if you are running xp. You might have to reload xp as vfat first. I suspect some of the real experts her can give you somewhat more detail. You might download v:3.8 or 3.9 rather than 3.2 Good Luck.

    I Remain In Service,

    Captain Cautious

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200
    One thing you need to be very sure about is the fact that NTFS file systems should NEVER be written to from Linux. Development has ceased on the captive driver, and it will probably not resume for quite some time. You are much better off rescuing your critical files by copying them to a fat32 (vfat) partition.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    58
    Blessings Folks. I hope you get the problem solved. I just had a HD crash on one of our office machines and I really can not say enough good things abut Knoppix's recovery tools. Foamo is 100% right on the NTFS issue. I wish it were possible but as fast as they have worked a write Gates changes a critical line or something that breaks the ntfswrite. If someone hears of a good way to write back to NTFS I'd be thrilled to hear of it.

    By My Hand I Remain~
    Captain Cautious

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    i think most of what you want is here in this FAQ, if not ask and we will try to help
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Rescue_FAQ

    as for the external hdd, what does fdisk -l in a console say?

Similar Threads

  1. Copying files from crashed windows with Knoppix
    By munruben in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 04:48 PM
  2. linux cds not booting, but windows are!!
    By karxix in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 01:54 AM
  3. Windows XP Encrypted Files -- Login ID Crashed -- Help!
    By garfield in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2008, 11:13 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 12:45 AM
  5. kde windows crashed
    By jmpereira in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 08:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99