Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Can't install ATI driver for Asus EAX600 (low refresh rate)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3

    Can't install ATI driver for Asus EAX600 (low refresh rate)

    Hi all,

    I have already browsed many pages of this forum but can't find a solution to my problem. I'm absolutely new to Linux so maybe I have seen a solution but didn't realize it was one. I need Linux for maths and simulation stuff, so I burned Quantian (a scientific Knoppix version) on DVD which worked quite well.

    I have an ASUS EAX600 XT graphics card and and my screen refresh rate seems to be 60 Hz (not sure, but it's in the pain-causing range), though Knoppix showed me 85 Hz. So I installed Knoppix to my HD (what an adventure!). After searching the www I ended up on ATI's website (ASUS doesn't offer Linux drivers on their website). From there I downloaded the binary installer and tried to run it (as root). I got a "permission denied" message and nothing happened. I have not tried the non-binary drivers as I have absolutely no idea what to do with them once downloaded.

    During boot, a message came up saying that Linux couldn't identify my graphics card.

    Can anyone help me / show me where ti look for a driver / anything else?

    EDIT: Here's the lspci -v you might need. Sorry I forgot to include this in the original posting.

    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 915G/P/GV Processor to I/O Controller (rev 04)
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device 2580
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Capabilities: [e0] #09 [2109]

    0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 915G/P/GV PCI Express Root Port (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
    I/O behind bridge: 00009000-00009fff
    Memory behind bridge: e8000000-e9ffffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: e0000000-e7ffffff
    Capabilities: [88] #0d [0000]
    Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [90] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-
    Capabilities: [a0] #10 [0141]

    0000:00:1b.0 0403: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device a005
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
    Memory at ec000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
    Capabilities: [70] #10 [0091]

    0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device 2658
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
    I/O ports at bc00 [size=32]

    0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device 2659
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
    I/O ports at b000 [size=32]

    0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device 265a
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    I/O ports at b400 [size=32]

    0000:00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device 265a
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
    I/O ports at b800 [size=32]

    0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device 5006
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
    Memory at ec004000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

    0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d3) (prog-if 01 [Subtractive decode])
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=32
    I/O behind bridge: 0000a000-0000afff
    Memory behind bridge: ea000000-ebffffff
    Capabilities: [50] #0d [0000]

    0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FR (ICH6/ICH6R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

    0000:00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FW (ICH6/ICH6W) SATA Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 80 [Master])
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device 2651
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at f000 [size=16]
    Capabilities: [70] Power Management version 2

    0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device 266a
    Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 19
    I/O ports at 0500 [size=32]

    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 3e50 (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 001e
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
    Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    I/O ports at 9000 [size=256]
    Memory at e9000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [58] #10 [0001]
    Capabilities: [80] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-

    0000:01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 3e70
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 001f
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Memory at e9010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [58] #10 [0001]

    0000:02:00.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless Interface
    Subsystem: D-Link System Inc: Unknown device 3b04
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 20
    Memory at eb024000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
    Memory at eb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
    Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2

    0000:02:05.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter (rev 13)
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device e000
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 21
    Memory at eb020000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    I/O ports at a000 [size=256]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [50] Vital Product Data

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    Can anyone help me with this or do you need more information?

    Buffi

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by DonBuffi
    Can anyone help me with this or do you need more information?
    I don't know enough about remastering to help you do that, and I'm certainly not going to encourage you to install Knoppix to hard disk. I know of no way that you can add a driver with Knoppix on the original disc. However, you might want to download and burn the latest Games Knoppix DVD (GKDVD). The BitTorrent tracker seeder to downloader ratio is quite good and it should download fast. It is said to include drivers for ATI and Nvidia; it recognized my Nvidia card and put it into 3d mode just fine. If it works for your ATI card you may be able to look at what that disc does and use it in your own remaster (or use the GK disc for whatever you need the ATI drivers for).

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    Thanks, DL is in progress....

    I wanted to use Quantian for the included maths software, so installing SuSe or some other distro might be better than getting Games Knoppix. I'd have to install additional software in both cases. But I'll try to find out how the ATI card is dealt with by GK and try to do the same thing again. Then I'll post it here.

    BTW I did not try to remaster Knoppix, I already installed it on HD and apart from that refresh rate issue it works (as far as I can tell, but again I'm far from being an average Linux user).

    Buffi

Similar Threads

  1. refresh rate
    By pkg in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 05:56 PM
  2. Refresh Rate
    By rehorne in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 09:41 AM
  3. Install and Refresh rate screwed up
    By DragonDon in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 02:10 PM
  4. Refresh rate
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 07:36 PM
  5. Refresh Rate
    By bateto_007 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-23-2003, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz Memory DIMM Tested Excellent Condition picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz Memory DIMM Tested Excellent Condition

$155.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$288.19



SK Hynix 8GB 1RX4 PC4-2133P-RC0-10 Registered Server RAM HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF TD AB picture

SK Hynix 8GB 1RX4 PC4-2133P-RC0-10 Registered Server RAM HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF TD AB

$34.99



SK hynix 64GB 2x32GB DDR5-5600 SODIMM Laptop RAM HMCG88AGBSA092N HP picture

SK hynix 64GB 2x32GB DDR5-5600 SODIMM Laptop RAM HMCG88AGBSA092N HP

$745.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



NEW Lenovo Samsung 64GB LPDDR5X 8533 MHz LPCAMM2 Memory,For ThinkPad P1 Gen7,8,9 picture

NEW Lenovo Samsung 64GB LPDDR5X 8533 MHz LPCAMM2 Memory,For ThinkPad P1 Gen7,8,9

$1349.00



64GB DDR4 ECC Server Memory picture

64GB DDR4 ECC Server Memory

$399.99



Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC picture

Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC

$370.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98