-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: after changing root password...

Originally Posted by
Fatcharlie
so I can access the files mydaughter encrypted before I rebuilt my machine and then she couldn't access them because etc. etc. etc.
Without Super User status I am unable to get access because they are still protected in some way.
However, having changed my Root password to something I know, I can now get to the Super user - not!
When I enter the new Root password in the Super user screen I get a message saying I need to check that DSOPserver is running.
I have been to the root console and typed 'sudo dsopserver', but then it tells me 'dsopserver appears to be running, remove home/knoppix/.dsopserver_knoppix__0 and run dsopserver again' (or something like that)
Just a few thoughts, no real help:
If your daughter encrypted files, it will be important to know what tools she used to do this. And even what operating system and software she used. Knoppix is not an excryption breakingtool. It can and often is used to access unencrypted files from Windows partitions, but accessing encrypted data is an entirely different matter.
Why you would need to deal with a superuser password is not clear. Knoppix booted from the CD should let you examine normal files on the disk, but will not break encryption.
What "etc. etc. etc." means is anyone's guess, but it might be important to someone trying to help.
Are you talking about using Knoppix from as Live CD or DVD as intended, or did you "install" it to the hard disk but decide to not tell anyone? I can't see why you would care about a root password unless you "installed" it?
Do you really mean dsopserver? You used the term a couple of times. KDE uses a dcopserver. which is the Desktop Communication Protocol daemon. Never heard of a dsopserver. Don't remember seeing any problems with either name, and I suspect that problems with such a server would be more likely after an attempt at a hard disk install (but maybe that's just a bias on my part). Not clear what this would have to do with attempting to access encrypted files or root passwords.
Similar Threads
-
By Cuddles in forum General Support
Replies: 18
Last Post: 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM
-
By Cuddles in forum The Lounge
Replies: 13
Last Post: 06-18-2007, 10:43 AM
-
By abeza in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-31-2007, 03:47 PM
-
By stol in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-13-2004, 03:14 PM
-
By mediaparty in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-14-2004, 11:36 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$94.95

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99