Quote Originally Posted by Fatcharlie
I have a special Broadband modem which goes down my normal telephone line -
That's DSL. We still don't know the make and model of the modem so I can't tell you if it includes a router or not, some do now but many still do not. Since you are having problems getting on the Internet I suspect that your modem does not (however if it has multiple ethernet ports on it then it very likely does). I strongly suggest that if your modem does not have a built-in router that you buy one. These are very inexpensive now, and will protect you from many attacks that a computer without a router is very vulnerable too. I also suggest that after adding a router you get and run software to find and remove the many viruses, spywares, trajan horses and other evil software that has very likely infected your Windows system. With a router you should be able to boot the Knoppix disc and be on the Internet with all of the proper settings as soon as the boot finishes. Without a router you can try running the PPPoE software and setting things up manually but I do not advise this; it is not safe.